Skip to main content

Kin join search for pilots of missing Air Force plane

MANILA, Philippines—The Philippine Air Force assured family members of the two missing pilots of a light aircraft that crashed nine days ago off Mariveles, Bataan, that it was not giving up the search for the wreckage of the plane.

Family members on Friday were allowed on board a naval rescue vessel still scouring areas near La Monja island for signs of the two pilots and their SF-260 plane.

“We’re still searching and we’re not going to stop until we find the wreckage,” PAF spokesperson Colonel Miguel Okol said Saturday.

No new debris has been found since the few scattered parts recovered shortly after the crash, the PAF said.

“It’s very frustrating for us and of course for the families,” Okol said.

While the PAF has not officially released the names of the pilots while the search is ongoing, other reports have identified them as Maj. Neil Tumaneng and Lt. Michael Arugay.
“The pilots are officially declared missing,” Okol said.

He said the families were kept abreast of everything the PAF was doing to determine what happened to the pilots and their plane.

“We tell them everything. We tell them what we do. We’re taking care of them,” Okol said.
On Friday, two family members were brought to the search site to see for themselves how the search was going on. “We tell them what we’re doing,” Okol said.

PAF and Philippine Navy personnel are searching an area five kilometers northwest of La Monja island, between the tips of Hormos and Cochinas Point in Mariveles.

The PAF said three other sites had been targeted for dive and seabed mapping operations.

The SF-260 aircraft with body number 716 left Sangley Point, Cavite, at 6:52 a.m. on May 18 for a proficiency flight over Corregidor.

Fishermen near La Monja island reported seeing the plane go down at around 7:15 a.m.
Since the crash, the PAF has grounded its seven remaining SF-260 turbo-prop planes which had been converted to light attack aircraft.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Philippine Daily Inquirer | May 26, 2012 | Article Link

Comments

More Philippine Defense News

DND wants frigate with 'surface-to-air' missile power

MANILA, Philippines - Defense spokesperson Peter Paul Galvez announced on Friday that one of the frigates to be acquired by the Philippines will have "surface-to-air" capabilities. That is, the ship will have the capability to fire missiles, guided by radar or heat sensors, at airborne targets.
"Aside from this, our latest frigate will have heavier gun armament and other equipment that will make it very effective in patrolling and securing the country's waters," Galvez said in Filipino.
He declined to state the particular country the Philippines will acquire this ship but stressed that acquisition will be done through a government-to-government transaction.
The Philippines has taken on a new sense of urgency to upgrade its naval capabilities as tensions continue to rise around the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea). US President Barack Obama's announced "pivot" for America towards the Pacific has stirred greater naval activity on the p…

No reduction in AFP manpower size

THERE will be no reduction in the number of soldiers of the Armed Forces of the Philippines when it implements the streamlining of commands by 2013, a senior officer told the Manila Standard in an exclusive interview.
“Under the Force Structure Review, there will be streamlining of units but this does not mean reduction in terms of the number of soldiers. In fact, the FSR calls for more recruits in the future,” the source, who requested anonymity, said.
At present, the military has a total of 125,000 soldiers, of which almost 85,000 are in the Army and the rest in the Navy-Marines and Air Force.
The FSR calls for an in-depth study of the AFP history in reference to pertinent laws of the land in conjunction with the challenges of internal and external defense.
The study also calls for the establishment of a strategic command that will focus on external defense where the main force would be the Air Force and Navy.
On instructions of Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin, former military ch…

Philippine Armored Vehicles with ad-hoc wood slat armor

While searching for Philippine armored vehicles for the updates being done for both the blog and the Facebook page I chanced upon images of Philippine Army and Marine armor assets covered with thick wood planks as slat armor for protection from rocket propelled grenades. This caught the eyes of Popular Mechanics who published an article last June 8th just for this subject.


According to the article,
Wood armor on armored vehicles won't save them from ISIS rockets. Not sure, I'll leave that to the actual reports from the Philippine Military in using wood as an ad hoc protection for rpg's, but yes this is only during emergencies. The Philippine Army and Philippine Marines should employ or use the real add-on armors currently in the market for armored vehicle protection. Or they could just simply buy new thicker-armored vehicles to be used for front-line operations and have the old vehicles to be used in secondary missions or as support vehicles.



Nonetheless the fast-thinkin…