Skip to main content

China hits out at 'troublemaker' Manila in maritime row


China and the Philippines are continuing to trade barbs amid a rumbling row over disputed areas in the South China Sea.
A China Daily editorial called Manila a "troublemaker" and criticised its move to allow oil and gas companies to bid for contracts in two offshore areas.
Both countries claim sovereignty over the areas in the South China Sea.
The exchange began after Manila said on Monday that it would start awarding exploration contracts next month.
The territorial dispute in the South China Sea between China and the Philippines has been going on for decades.
But the exchange of words between the two countries spiked after the Philippines' announcement that two offshore areas 49 miles (79km) off Palawan were to be included in the bid for oil and gas licences.
China states its "indisputable sovereignty" in the China Daily editorial, warning that the Philippines "should assume direct responsibility for the fresh flare up of the South China Sea issue".
Earlier this week, China's Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei also said that it was "unlawful for any country or company to explore oil and gas in areas under Chinese jurisdiction".
But the Philippines insists it does not need China's permission.
Philippine Foreign Secretary Albert del Rosario said the oil and gas contracts off Palawan did not need Beijing's approval and that under the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS), the area was "well within our sovereignty".
Last year, the Philippines claimed that China had repeatedly intruded into its territorial waters in relation to oil exploration in a separate area near Palawan.
China is engaged in multiple territorial disputes in the South China Sea with its neighbours, including Vietnam and Malaysia.
Vietnam this week lodged a protest with China after 11 fishermen were reportedly assaulted by Chinese forces in a disputed area on 22 February after they reportedly tried to avoid a storm.
---------------------------------------------------------
1 March 2012 Last updated at 07:45 GMT
BBC News

Comments

More Philippine Defense News

DND wants frigate with 'surface-to-air' missile power

MANILA, Philippines - Defense spokesperson Peter Paul Galvez announced on Friday that one of the frigates to be acquired by the Philippines will have "surface-to-air" capabilities. That is, the ship will have the capability to fire missiles, guided by radar or heat sensors, at airborne targets.
"Aside from this, our latest frigate will have heavier gun armament and other equipment that will make it very effective in patrolling and securing the country's waters," Galvez said in Filipino.
He declined to state the particular country the Philippines will acquire this ship but stressed that acquisition will be done through a government-to-government transaction.
The Philippines has taken on a new sense of urgency to upgrade its naval capabilities as tensions continue to rise around the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea). US President Barack Obama's announced "pivot" for America towards the Pacific has stirred greater naval activity on the p…

No reduction in AFP manpower size

THERE will be no reduction in the number of soldiers of the Armed Forces of the Philippines when it implements the streamlining of commands by 2013, a senior officer told the Manila Standard in an exclusive interview.
“Under the Force Structure Review, there will be streamlining of units but this does not mean reduction in terms of the number of soldiers. In fact, the FSR calls for more recruits in the future,” the source, who requested anonymity, said.
At present, the military has a total of 125,000 soldiers, of which almost 85,000 are in the Army and the rest in the Navy-Marines and Air Force.
The FSR calls for an in-depth study of the AFP history in reference to pertinent laws of the land in conjunction with the challenges of internal and external defense.
The study also calls for the establishment of a strategic command that will focus on external defense where the main force would be the Air Force and Navy.
On instructions of Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin, former military ch…

Philippine Armored Vehicles with ad-hoc wood slat armor

While searching for Philippine armored vehicles for the updates being done for both the blog and the Facebook page I chanced upon images of Philippine Army and Marine armor assets covered with thick wood planks as slat armor for protection from rocket propelled grenades. This caught the eyes of Popular Mechanics who published an article last June 8th just for this subject.


According to the article,
Wood armor on armored vehicles won't save them from ISIS rockets. Not sure, I'll leave that to the actual reports from the Philippine Military in using wood as an ad hoc protection for rpg's, but yes this is only during emergencies. The Philippine Army and Philippine Marines should employ or use the real add-on armors currently in the market for armored vehicle protection. Or they could just simply buy new thicker-armored vehicles to be used for front-line operations and have the old vehicles to be used in secondary missions or as support vehicles.



Nonetheless the fast-thinkin…