Skip to main content

China lying about Scarborough deployments, says Philippine military officer

CAMP AQUINO, Tarlac City - The chief of the Armed Forces' Northern Luzon Command on Tuesday accused China of "not telling the truth" when it claimed it had withdrawn its vessels from disputed Scarborough (Panatag) Shoal.

A statement from the Chinese Embassy on Monday said the Yuzheng 310, China's most advanced fishery patrol vessel - which is armed and has a helipad - and the surveillance ship CMS 84 had left Scarborough, where the Philippines and China have been engaged in a standoff that has entered its second week.

The standoff was triggered by attempts of the Philippine Navy flagship BRP Gregorio del Pilar to take into custody eight Chinese fishing vessels loaded with contraband marine products.

Citing field reports, Alcantara said that as of 8 p.m. Monday, the Yuzheng 310 had been spotted about eight nautical miles southeast of the shoal.

"We're not doubting their claims; we're telling them they are not telling the truth," Alcantara said.

Reports from Nolcom said another Chinese surveillance ship, CMS 71, has been spotted 12 nautical miles southeast of the location of the BRP Pampanga, the Coast Guard vessel in the area.

"At the moment, there is a BFAR (Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources) ship that went there, anchored inside the shoal," Alcantara told reporters here.

Aside from the Yuzheng 310 and the CMS 71, two more Chinese "small boats" were spotted inside the shoal as of Monday night.

Three more Chinese fishing vessels have been spotted outside the shoal.

Authorities were unsure of the location of two other Chinese surveillance ships, the CMS 84 and CMS 75.

"Most likely they're there, out of sight at some point in time. One thing is certain they are there now and looks like they are bent to stay in the area," Alcantara said.

Alcantara described the situation in the area as "stable," adding that at the moment, Chinese fishermen were no longer harvesting endangered marine life such as giant clams and baby sharks.

"We won’t allow the Chinese to conquer our territory," Alcantara vowed.

Although the government has stressed that it will exhaust all diplomatic channels to resolve the standoff, Alcantara said the military is ready to perform its mandate.

"I can assure you that your armed forces are prepared and the Philippine government is prepared. I think we can handle it on our own," Alcantara said.

"We are following a national strategy on this matter. The military is just a small part but I can assure you that the armed forces are doing its share to be part of the nationalist strategy. We are ready," he added.

The military has readied contingency measures, including the possible redeployment of the BRP Gregorio del Pilar.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| April 24, 2012 | Article Link

Comments

More Philippine Defense News

AFP Modernization 2017: Highlights and Review

The modernization of the Armed Forces of the Philippines was on a roll this year, as we've seen a few big ticket items having completely delivered this year. Game changers as they say, these new assets have proven their capabilities both in combat and humanitarian missions.

Here's a brief on everything what we know about the AFP modernization this 2017.

Philippine Air Force  FA-50PH


The final batch of the FA-50PH Lead-In Fighter Trainers have been successfully delivered by the Korean Aerospace Industries last May. The last batch of 2 arrived on May 31st at Clark Air Base. The contract consist of 12 FA-50's at the price of Php 18.9 billion. AFP spokesperson Brig. Gen. Restituto Padilla mentioned on a March 23 article in Inquirer that there are plans to purchase 6 more additional FA-50's if the funding allows it and if the performance is good.

FA-50PH Weapons - AIM-9 Air-to-air Missiles
Aside from the aircraft itself the Department of National Defense also ordered AIM-9

DND wants frigate with 'surface-to-air' missile power

MANILA, Philippines - Defense spokesperson Peter Paul Galvez announced on Friday that one of the frigates to be acquired by the Philippines will have "surface-to-air" capabilities. That is, the ship will have the capability to fire missiles, guided by radar or heat sensors, at airborne targets.
"Aside from this, our latest frigate will have heavier gun armament and other equipment that will make it very effective in patrolling and securing the country's waters," Galvez said in Filipino.
He declined to state the particular country the Philippines will acquire this ship but stressed that acquisition will be done through a government-to-government transaction.
The Philippines has taken on a new sense of urgency to upgrade its naval capabilities as tensions continue to rise around the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea). US President Barack Obama's announced "pivot" for America towards the Pacific has stirred greater naval activity on the p…

Special Forces Assault Boat and the Philippine Aerospace Development Corporation

Special Forces assault boats to beef up patrols in Davao Gulf
Special Forces assault boats will soon patrol Davao Gulf to detect and deter piracy and terrorist threats in southern waters.

Two of these boats were formally turned over by Special Forces Regiment commander Brig. Gen. Ramiro Manuel Rey to Eastern Mindanao Command chief Lt. Gen. Benjamin Madrigal in Davao City on Tuesday, the EastMinCom said in a statement.

Madrigal said the boats will be “an additional capability in securing the municipal waters in the area of responsibility, particularly Davao Gulf, to preempt terrorists, piracy and other security threats from using the sea lanes in their terrorist and criminal acts. It can also be used for water search and rescue operations.”

The boats have counter/anti-terrorist capability and will be manned by Special Forces Riverine troopers.

The boats will be initially deployed with Joint Task Force Haribon which has the jurisdiction of Mega Davao, the Eastern Mindanao Command said.

Ori…