Skip to main content

Defense chief belittles China protest of Philippine oil exploration invitations


MANILA, Philippines—Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin on Thursday dismissed China’s protestations over the Philippine government’s invitation to major foreign oil companies to invest in fuel exploration near Palawan in the West Philippine Sea, saying the offshore areas were well within the country’s territory.
In an  interview at Camp Aguinaldo, Gazmin also said he saw no reason for fresh tensions to build up over the disputed waters.
“I don’t think so. I don’t think so,” Gazmin said in answer to a question whether the Philippine move might strain relations with China.
“Now, if they get angry, we cannot control their emotions. But then, we still stick to the fact that these [areas] are within our territory. It is ours. Like our President said, ‘what is ours is ours.’ That’s very definite,” he told reporters.
Gazmin said he did not see any particular need to step up patrols in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea), although “we will continue to maintain our patrols in the area.”
He said foreign oil companies should rest assured that their operations would be secure should they accept the Philippine invitation.
“Of course, the investors would not come here if they weren’t assured of their safety. We are doing all that we can in order to protect what’s ours,” Gazmin said.
Energy Secretary Jose Almendras earlier said the Philippine government had invited major foreign oil companies to invest in fuel exploration in two offshore areas northwest of Palawan province within the country’s 200-nautical-mile exclusive economic zone.
But when asked to comment, a Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson said the offshore areas were under China’s jurisdiction.
The Philippines and China traded barbs early last year over repeated incursions by the latter into the former’s territory, including an incident in which two Chinese vessels allegedly harassed a Philippine exploration ship at Reed Bank, prompting the Philippines to send planes and Coast Guard ships to the area.
This was followed by a string of other incidents over the next few months that drew protests from the Philippines. China then issued strong words warning the Philippines about its statements.
At the heart of the dispute is competing claims over the Spratly group of islands, a reputedly oil-rich chain of tiny islands and reefs located near Palawan. The chain is claimed wholly by China, and partly by the Philippines, Malaysia, Brunei, Vietnam and Taiwan.
--------------------------------------------------------
5:26 pm | Thursday, March 1st, 2012

Comments

More Philippine Defense News

DND wants frigate with 'surface-to-air' missile power

MANILA, Philippines - Defense spokesperson Peter Paul Galvez announced on Friday that one of the frigates to be acquired by the Philippines will have "surface-to-air" capabilities. That is, the ship will have the capability to fire missiles, guided by radar or heat sensors, at airborne targets.
"Aside from this, our latest frigate will have heavier gun armament and other equipment that will make it very effective in patrolling and securing the country's waters," Galvez said in Filipino.
He declined to state the particular country the Philippines will acquire this ship but stressed that acquisition will be done through a government-to-government transaction.
The Philippines has taken on a new sense of urgency to upgrade its naval capabilities as tensions continue to rise around the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea). US President Barack Obama's announced "pivot" for America towards the Pacific has stirred greater naval activity on the p…

No reduction in AFP manpower size

THERE will be no reduction in the number of soldiers of the Armed Forces of the Philippines when it implements the streamlining of commands by 2013, a senior officer told the Manila Standard in an exclusive interview.
“Under the Force Structure Review, there will be streamlining of units but this does not mean reduction in terms of the number of soldiers. In fact, the FSR calls for more recruits in the future,” the source, who requested anonymity, said.
At present, the military has a total of 125,000 soldiers, of which almost 85,000 are in the Army and the rest in the Navy-Marines and Air Force.
The FSR calls for an in-depth study of the AFP history in reference to pertinent laws of the land in conjunction with the challenges of internal and external defense.
The study also calls for the establishment of a strategic command that will focus on external defense where the main force would be the Air Force and Navy.
On instructions of Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin, former military ch…

Philippine Armored Vehicles with ad-hoc wood slat armor

While searching for Philippine armored vehicles for the updates being done for both the blog and the Facebook page I chanced upon images of Philippine Army and Marine armor assets covered with thick wood planks as slat armor for protection from rocket propelled grenades. This caught the eyes of Popular Mechanics who published an article last June 8th just for this subject.


According to the article,
Wood armor on armored vehicles won't save them from ISIS rockets. Not sure, I'll leave that to the actual reports from the Philippine Military in using wood as an ad hoc protection for rpg's, but yes this is only during emergencies. The Philippine Army and Philippine Marines should employ or use the real add-on armors currently in the market for armored vehicle protection. Or they could just simply buy new thicker-armored vehicles to be used for front-line operations and have the old vehicles to be used in secondary missions or as support vehicles.



Nonetheless the fast-thinkin…