Skip to main content

Philippine Navy allots P25M for consultant

The Navy will spend P25-million for the services of a consultant for its multi-billion ship acquisition project.
 
Commodore Ronald Mercado of the Navy technical working group said the consultant would complement their expertise on the ships' design and capabilities.

"The consultant will provide us the technical expertise and the knowledge," Mercado told reporters in an interview Monday.

The Defense department has allowed the Navy to tap a consultant for the project, which seeks to improve the country's territorial defense capabilities.

The goverment is spending P18 billion to buy two Navy frigates as part of the military's upgrade efforts.

The bidding process for the project started late last year.

The consultant for the project will be chosen through negotiations. Mercado said they are looking for a consultant in the region with proven expertise and track record.

"We need to have it (consultant) within next month," he said.

The budget for the consultant will be charged from the Armed Forces Modernization Fund.
Earlier, THE STAR reported that four companies have been declared eligible to proceed to the next phase of the bidding for the P18-billion project.

The eligible bidders are Navantia Sepi (RTR Ventures) of Spain and South Korean firms STX Offshore & Shipbuilding, Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering Co. Ltd. and Hyundai Heavy Industries, Inc.

The four firms passed the first stage of the bidding, which involved the inspection of company eligibility documents.

Three other companies joined the bidding but the Defense department declared their documents to be deficient. The three disqualified firms are now asking the agency to reconsider its decision and to declare them as eligible bidders.

The three bidders that filed motions for reconsideration were Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers Ltd. of India, STX France SA and Thyssenkrupp Marine System.

The Navy will nevertheless review the offers of the four eligible fims while the Defense department deliberates on the appeal of the disqualified bidders.

Mercado said they would conduct workshops in Cavite next month to assess the technical features of the ships being offered. The Navy technical working group will allot five days to each bid submitted.

Mercado said they would allot another three weeks for assessments in the event that the Defense department reverses its decision on the three disqualified firms. 

The second phase of the bidding will involve the opening of financial documents to determine who among the bidders is offering the lowest price.

Article Source: The Philippine Star

Comments

More Philippine Defense News

DND wants frigate with 'surface-to-air' missile power

MANILA, Philippines - Defense spokesperson Peter Paul Galvez announced on Friday that one of the frigates to be acquired by the Philippines will have "surface-to-air" capabilities. That is, the ship will have the capability to fire missiles, guided by radar or heat sensors, at airborne targets.
"Aside from this, our latest frigate will have heavier gun armament and other equipment that will make it very effective in patrolling and securing the country's waters," Galvez said in Filipino.
He declined to state the particular country the Philippines will acquire this ship but stressed that acquisition will be done through a government-to-government transaction.
The Philippines has taken on a new sense of urgency to upgrade its naval capabilities as tensions continue to rise around the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea). US President Barack Obama's announced "pivot" for America towards the Pacific has stirred greater naval activity on the p…

No reduction in AFP manpower size

THERE will be no reduction in the number of soldiers of the Armed Forces of the Philippines when it implements the streamlining of commands by 2013, a senior officer told the Manila Standard in an exclusive interview.
“Under the Force Structure Review, there will be streamlining of units but this does not mean reduction in terms of the number of soldiers. In fact, the FSR calls for more recruits in the future,” the source, who requested anonymity, said.
At present, the military has a total of 125,000 soldiers, of which almost 85,000 are in the Army and the rest in the Navy-Marines and Air Force.
The FSR calls for an in-depth study of the AFP history in reference to pertinent laws of the land in conjunction with the challenges of internal and external defense.
The study also calls for the establishment of a strategic command that will focus on external defense where the main force would be the Air Force and Navy.
On instructions of Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin, former military ch…

Philippine Armored Vehicles with ad-hoc wood slat armor

While searching for Philippine armored vehicles for the updates being done for both the blog and the Facebook page I chanced upon images of Philippine Army and Marine armor assets covered with thick wood planks as slat armor for protection from rocket propelled grenades. This caught the eyes of Popular Mechanics who published an article last June 8th just for this subject.


According to the article,
Wood armor on armored vehicles won't save them from ISIS rockets. Not sure, I'll leave that to the actual reports from the Philippine Military in using wood as an ad hoc protection for rpg's, but yes this is only during emergencies. The Philippine Army and Philippine Marines should employ or use the real add-on armors currently in the market for armored vehicle protection. Or they could just simply buy new thicker-armored vehicles to be used for front-line operations and have the old vehicles to be used in secondary missions or as support vehicles.



Nonetheless the fast-thinkin…