Skip to main content

Navy officers tagged in Pestaño slay case want to be tried by military court


MANILA, Philippines —The Navy officers accused of murdering Ensign Philip Pestaño want their case to be tried by members of the military.
In a manifestation and motion filed on Wednesday, they asked the Sandiganbayan Third Division to refer their case to a military tribunal because of national security issues and because the case would involve military terminologies that civilians might not fully understand.
According to the accused, their case should be transferred because all of them are or were members of the military and because the Armed Forces of the Philippines has been investigating military personnel on the alleged cover-up of the Pestaño murder case. The accused have filed complaints before the military against Pestaño’s classmates for allegedly covering up his suicide.
Pestaño was found dead inside the Navy’s BRP Bacolod City on September 27, 1995, with a gunshot wound on the head.
Earlier investigations ruled his death a suicide, but his parents refused to believe this and filed a complaint for murder against several Navy officers.
Last month, the Office of the Ombudsman filed murder charges before the Sandiganbayan against Capt. Ricardo Ordoñez, Cmdr. Reynaldo Lopez, Hospital Man 2 Welmenio Aquino, Lt. Cmdr. Luidegar Casis, Lt. Cmdr. Alfrederick Alba, machinery repairman 2 Sandy Miranda, Lt. Cmdr. Joselito Colico, Lt. Cmdr. Ruben Roque, PO1 Carlito Amoroso and PO2 Mil Leonor Igcasan.
But the officers have contested their indictment and insisted that Pestaño took his own life. They also questioned the Sandiganbayan’s jurisdiction over the case because based on the rank of the officers when the offense was committed, their case must be handled by a regional trial court or a military tribunal.
In their latest pleading, the accused said their case should be under a military tribunal because of national security concerns. The navy ship where Pestaño died would be subject to ocular inspection, the accused pointed out..
“Hence, the defense capability of the country’s naval force will be exposed to the public as well as to the enemies of the state, including but not limited to terrorist groups,” they said.
According to the accused, four of them are senior intelligence officers holding sensitive positions in the Navy.
They cited the need for military experts in the court martial because during the preliminary investigation of the case, technical and military terminologies and theories that were foreign to civilians were raised.
The accused also noted that a Manila court could have jurisdiction over the case as well on the basis of the Navy headquarters being  in Manila.
But they said they would not want the case to go there because of what they have perceived to be the bias of Manila Mayor Alfredo Lim for the Pestaño family. They recalled that on the day after the murder charges were filed, Lim called for a press conference and said he has been a supporter of the Pestaño family and had provided a lawyer for them.
This has prompted them to believe they would not get a fair and impartial trial in the Manila RTC.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
7:09 pm | Wednesday, February 15th, 2012

Comments

More Philippine Defense News

AFP Modernization 2017: Highlights and Review

The modernization of the Armed Forces of the Philippines was on a roll this year, as we've seen a few big ticket items having completely delivered this year. Game changers as they say, these new assets have proven their capabilities both in combat and humanitarian missions.

Here's a brief on everything what we know about the AFP modernization this 2017.

Philippine Air Force  FA-50PH


The final batch of the FA-50PH Lead-In Fighter Trainers have been successfully delivered by the Korean Aerospace Industries last May. The last batch of 2 arrived on May 31st at Clark Air Base. The contract consist of 12 FA-50's at the price of Php 18.9 billion. AFP spokesperson Brig. Gen. Restituto Padilla mentioned on a March 23 article in Inquirer that there are plans to purchase 6 more additional FA-50's if the funding allows it and if the performance is good.

FA-50PH Weapons - AIM-9 Air-to-air Missiles
Aside from the aircraft itself the Department of National Defense also ordered AIM-9

DND wants frigate with 'surface-to-air' missile power

MANILA, Philippines - Defense spokesperson Peter Paul Galvez announced on Friday that one of the frigates to be acquired by the Philippines will have "surface-to-air" capabilities. That is, the ship will have the capability to fire missiles, guided by radar or heat sensors, at airborne targets.
"Aside from this, our latest frigate will have heavier gun armament and other equipment that will make it very effective in patrolling and securing the country's waters," Galvez said in Filipino.
He declined to state the particular country the Philippines will acquire this ship but stressed that acquisition will be done through a government-to-government transaction.
The Philippines has taken on a new sense of urgency to upgrade its naval capabilities as tensions continue to rise around the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea). US President Barack Obama's announced "pivot" for America towards the Pacific has stirred greater naval activity on the p…

Special Forces Assault Boat and the Philippine Aerospace Development Corporation

Special Forces assault boats to beef up patrols in Davao Gulf
Special Forces assault boats will soon patrol Davao Gulf to detect and deter piracy and terrorist threats in southern waters.

Two of these boats were formally turned over by Special Forces Regiment commander Brig. Gen. Ramiro Manuel Rey to Eastern Mindanao Command chief Lt. Gen. Benjamin Madrigal in Davao City on Tuesday, the EastMinCom said in a statement.

Madrigal said the boats will be “an additional capability in securing the municipal waters in the area of responsibility, particularly Davao Gulf, to preempt terrorists, piracy and other security threats from using the sea lanes in their terrorist and criminal acts. It can also be used for water search and rescue operations.”

The boats have counter/anti-terrorist capability and will be manned by Special Forces Riverine troopers.

The boats will be initially deployed with Joint Task Force Haribon which has the jurisdiction of Mega Davao, the Eastern Mindanao Command said.

Ori…