Skip to main content

Estrada says govt must stand firm in dealing with rebel groups

08/09/2008 | 05:29 PM

MANILA, Philippines — Former President Joseph Estrada warned the government on Saturday that the country could break apart if it continues with its policy of appeasement with the separatist Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF).

Estrada said the prevailing tension in Mindanao only proves that his “all out war" policy against the MILF.is more effective that President Gloria Macapagal’s appeasement policy.

He said the Arroyo government has no one to blame except itself for returning the 43 camps of the MILF that government troops seized when he declared an full-scale offensive against the separatist group in 2000.

“We had successfully overrun 43 camps of the MILF, including Camp Abubakar, but they (Arroyo administration) returned it to them. That is the main cause of our problem right now," he said, adding that the continuing secessionist movement and insurgency problem makes investors hesitant to business in the country.

“None of this would have happened if Malacaňang had followed through on my lead in rebuilding any and all attempts to cut up the Republic of the Philippines, and in restoring Philippine sovereignty in areas and camps previously claimed to be the exclusive domain of the MILF," he said in an interview.

Estrada said his declaration of an “all-out war" against fellow Filipinos had been one of the most difficult decisions he made in his short-lived presidency.

“But it was a necessary step in preventing further chaos in Mindanao and in pushing through with a genuine peace and development initiative in the region," Estrada said.

He said the Arroyo administration must be firm in its resolve to address the peace and order problem in Mindanao and must also be at all times transparent in dealing with MILF or any other rebel group.

“We all want peace, but at what price? There was no transparency, no respect for the people’s right to be informed about an agreement that would affect their future," he said.

He was referring to the memorandum of agreement on ancestral domain between government and the MILF that was stopped by the Supreme Court. - GMANews.TV

http://www.gmanews.tv/story/112609/Estrada-says-govt-must-stand-firm-in-dealing-with-rebel-groups

This time I'll agree with MR. Erap. The government is not in the losing end here, any why all of the sudden give way to their Ancestral Domain demand? This is serious shit here..

No to the Ancestral Domain..No to expanded ARMM..

Comments

More Philippine Defense News

DND wants frigate with 'surface-to-air' missile power

MANILA, Philippines - Defense spokesperson Peter Paul Galvez announced on Friday that one of the frigates to be acquired by the Philippines will have "surface-to-air" capabilities. That is, the ship will have the capability to fire missiles, guided by radar or heat sensors, at airborne targets.
"Aside from this, our latest frigate will have heavier gun armament and other equipment that will make it very effective in patrolling and securing the country's waters," Galvez said in Filipino.
He declined to state the particular country the Philippines will acquire this ship but stressed that acquisition will be done through a government-to-government transaction.
The Philippines has taken on a new sense of urgency to upgrade its naval capabilities as tensions continue to rise around the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea). US President Barack Obama's announced "pivot" for America towards the Pacific has stirred greater naval activity on the p…

No reduction in AFP manpower size

THERE will be no reduction in the number of soldiers of the Armed Forces of the Philippines when it implements the streamlining of commands by 2013, a senior officer told the Manila Standard in an exclusive interview.
“Under the Force Structure Review, there will be streamlining of units but this does not mean reduction in terms of the number of soldiers. In fact, the FSR calls for more recruits in the future,” the source, who requested anonymity, said.
At present, the military has a total of 125,000 soldiers, of which almost 85,000 are in the Army and the rest in the Navy-Marines and Air Force.
The FSR calls for an in-depth study of the AFP history in reference to pertinent laws of the land in conjunction with the challenges of internal and external defense.
The study also calls for the establishment of a strategic command that will focus on external defense where the main force would be the Air Force and Navy.
On instructions of Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin, former military ch…

Philippine Armored Vehicles with ad-hoc wood slat armor

While searching for Philippine armored vehicles for the updates being done for both the blog and the Facebook page I chanced upon images of Philippine Army and Marine armor assets covered with thick wood planks as slat armor for protection from rocket propelled grenades. This caught the eyes of Popular Mechanics who published an article last June 8th just for this subject.


According to the article,
Wood armor on armored vehicles won't save them from ISIS rockets. Not sure, I'll leave that to the actual reports from the Philippine Military in using wood as an ad hoc protection for rpg's, but yes this is only during emergencies. The Philippine Army and Philippine Marines should employ or use the real add-on armors currently in the market for armored vehicle protection. Or they could just simply buy new thicker-armored vehicles to be used for front-line operations and have the old vehicles to be used in secondary missions or as support vehicles.



Nonetheless the fast-thinkin…