Skip to main content

Firefight breaks out in Sabah; sultanate reports 10 dead, 4 wounded


MANILA, Philippines -- (UPDATE 5 - 12:39 p.m.) A firefight between followers of the Sulu sultanate and Malaysian security forces in Lahad Datu town in Sabah Friday morning has reportedly left 10 persons dead and four wounded.

The casualty count was given by Princess Jacel Kiram, daughter of Sultan Jamalul Kiram III, in a briefing at their home in Maharlika Village, Taguig City past noon. Abraham Idjirani, spokesman of the sultanate, said among the casualties was a 28-year old mother of three and her husband.

However, Strategic Communication Secretary Ramon Carandang told a briefing in Malacanang that what happened was "there was a minor altercation, firing of warning shots but no casualties."

Idjirani claimed the Malaysian police snipers were continuing to fire at the sultan's followers.

The princess said her father's orders were for his followers in Sabah to "be restrained but always ready to defend themselves."

Addressing the Malaysian government, the princess asked: "Do we want more bloodshed or do we want this bloodshed to stop ... are we engaging in a dialogue or is this is an act of uinilateral violence against the sultanate of Sulu and North Borneo?"

Shots could be heard in the background earlier in the day when radio station dzBB interviewed the Sulu sultan's brother and crown prince Raja Muda Agbimuddin Kiram, who led close to 200 followers of the sultanate in occupying the village of Tanduo in Lahad Datu in mid-February.

"We do not confirm that there has been an ongoing firefight. From what we know from Malaysian authorities, what happened was not a firefight," Carandang said.

"Early this morning, the people of Kiram tried to leave the restricted area in Lahad Datu, perhaps to get supplies. They were met by Malaysian security forces and told to return to where they were, then a warning shot was heard," Carandang said. "After that, they were briefly detained then released."

But Idjirani brushed off the Palace denial, saying they had spoken personally to the crown prince some 20 minutes before the briefing. "Who are we to believe, Raja Muda or Malacanang?"

The princess said the "attack" by the Malasyian police was "unprovoked" because it followed "formal and informal talks" over the past two days for a peaceful settlement of the Sabah standoff. The talks, she said, included the terms for "disarmament."

Idjirani said they would appeal to the international community -- most likely the United Nations or Organization of Islamic Cooperation -- to investigate the incident.

He added that they have confirmed the identities of two of the casualties but refused to name them to prevent their relatives from "reacting violently."

He also denied reports that the crown prince had been captured by Malaysian authorities. "Raja Muda is well, he’s not wounded, he’s still leading the struggle."

In an earlier briefing, the sultan said of his brother:"Mahuhuli lang siya kung patay na siya (He will only be captured when he's dead)."

Kiram also warned that "they have awakened the giant" and that any fighting could escalate and spread “all the way to Kota Kinabalu” and "will also become our problem."

At the same time, Kiram said they remained open to negotiations.

He also accused the government of being insensitive to the sultanate's claim to Sabah.
"The government should study the issue very well," Kiram said. "They ask us to leave our own place? What if we ask them, the President, to leave, will they like that?"

The government has repeatedly asked Kiram to call on his followers to return from Sabah and President Benigno Aquino III has ordered the sultan investigated for possible violations of the Constitution and the Revised Penal Code.

Malacanang has also said it would talk to Kiram only if his followers leave Sabah and said the sultan alone would be responsible for anything untoward.

Kiram said he would speak only to Aquino and not to Palace emissaries.

The sultan said his order to his followers was to stay put even if they run out of ammunition "because you have to show to the world that wou're there not for fighting but to settle down in your homeland."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Abigail Kwok/ Bernard testa | InterAksyon.com | March 1, 2013 | Article Link

Comments

More Philippine Defense News

AFP Modernization 2017: Highlights and Review

The modernization of the Armed Forces of the Philippines was on a roll this year, as we've seen a few big ticket items having completely delivered this year. Game changers as they say, these new assets have proven their capabilities both in combat and humanitarian missions.

Here's a brief on everything what we know about the AFP modernization this 2017.

Philippine Air Force  FA-50PH


The final batch of the FA-50PH Lead-In Fighter Trainers have been successfully delivered by the Korean Aerospace Industries last May. The last batch of 2 arrived on May 31st at Clark Air Base. The contract consist of 12 FA-50's at the price of Php 18.9 billion. AFP spokesperson Brig. Gen. Restituto Padilla mentioned on a March 23 article in Inquirer that there are plans to purchase 6 more additional FA-50's if the funding allows it and if the performance is good.

FA-50PH Weapons - AIM-9 Air-to-air Missiles
Aside from the aircraft itself the Department of National Defense also ordered AIM-9

DND wants frigate with 'surface-to-air' missile power

MANILA, Philippines - Defense spokesperson Peter Paul Galvez announced on Friday that one of the frigates to be acquired by the Philippines will have "surface-to-air" capabilities. That is, the ship will have the capability to fire missiles, guided by radar or heat sensors, at airborne targets.
"Aside from this, our latest frigate will have heavier gun armament and other equipment that will make it very effective in patrolling and securing the country's waters," Galvez said in Filipino.
He declined to state the particular country the Philippines will acquire this ship but stressed that acquisition will be done through a government-to-government transaction.
The Philippines has taken on a new sense of urgency to upgrade its naval capabilities as tensions continue to rise around the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea). US President Barack Obama's announced "pivot" for America towards the Pacific has stirred greater naval activity on the p…

2 deliveries in 2018 to beef up Philippine Navy's capability

Two more platforms which will help boost the Philippine Navy (PN)'s capabilities to defend the country's vast maritime domains are expected to be delivered this 2018. This was bared by Defense spokesperson Arsenio Andolong when sought for an update on other deliverable items for the PN this year.
3 MPAC mk3's with Spike ER System This has been discussed already in the AFP Modernization 2017 Highlights article.  

First among the deliverables is the Rafael Advanced Defense Systems Ltd's Spike ER (extended range) missile systems which will be fitted on three of the Navy's brand-new multi-purpose assault craft (MPAC) which was activated last May 22.

The weapons are on anti-ship mode meaning it can engage surface vessel targets and is capable of penetrating 1,000 mm (39 inches) of rolled homogeneous armor and has a maximum range of five miles. And while not giving the exact dates for the delivery of the missiles and its platforms for security purpose, Andolong said the…