Skip to main content

Sulu sultanate denies sabotaging peace efforts


MANILA – A spokesperson for the Sultanate of Sulu on Wednesday denied accusations that the royal family and its followers are out to sabotage the peace efforts of the Philippine government and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) in Mindanao.

Abraham Idjirani, spokesperson of the sultanate, said the followers of Sultan Jamalaul Kiram III who have been holed up in Lahad Datu in the Malaysia's Sabah have history on their side in claiming the land.

"We completely deny that. That is unfounded, baseless. I think the president should not listen to anybody na nagsabi ng ganyan," Idjirani told radio dzMM.

"Ang Sabah issue ay iba sa MILF peace talks. Ang MILF peace talks ay internal problem. Ang Sabah issue, geopolitics ang involved dito."

Idjirani was reacting to the sources cited by The Philippine Star who said Sultan Jamalul Kiram III is not acting on his own in highlighting his family's claim over Sabah.

Among those being eyed by administration officials as instigators of Kiram are Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) chieftain Nur Misuari, former national security adviser Norberto Gonzales and even the President’s uncle, former Tarlac congressman Jose "Peping" Cojuangco and his wife Margarita, who is running for senator under the United Nationalist Alliance (UNA).

Hundreds of supporters of the sultan trooped to the Malaysian territory last week, apparently as a result of the peace agreement between the Philippine government and separatist group Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF).

The Bangsamoro framework agreement aims at creating an autonomous state seen as a solution to the decades-long conflict in the region.

The sultanate, however, felt alienated by the peace agreement.

"Our government relegated the issue into the backburner. Sa palagay namin, with regard to the issue of Sabah, parang wala ng interes ang national government," Idjirani said.

While denying involvement in the standoff, MNLF's Misuari expressed his support for the sultanate's followers, saying the land is rightfully owned by the sultanate and that their claim has historical justification.

The MNLF chieftain also claimed that Malaysia is brokering the peace deal between the government and the MILF in order to prevent the Sabah issue from being discussed anew.

5,300 ringgit rent

The Sabah territory was once controlled by the Sultanate of Sulu. It was given as a gift by the Sultanate of Brunei for Sulu's role in quelling a rebellion.

In 1878, the Sulu sultanate leased Sabah to the British North Borneo Company, which then transferred the territory to Malaysia in 1963.

The Philippine government in 1962, then under President Diosdado Macapagal, was given the legal authority by the sultanate to handle negotiations on the claims.

From then on Kuala Lumpur pays an annual rent of 5,300 ringgit ($1,600) to the heirs of the Sultan of Sulu.

Idjirani, however, said the right given to the Philippine government to negotiate on its behalf was revoked in 1989 by Sultan Jamalul Kiram III.

"In view of the fact that the sultanate of Sulu [revoked] the special power of authority, wala ng karapatan ang gobyerno ng Pilipinas na i-pursue ang Sabah claim," he said.

Idjirani said the sultanate will not give up its claim. He said Sabah belongs to the sultanate, and by extension, to the Philippines.

"Ang Sabah ay atin. Sa katotohanan, bago mamatay ang kanilang tatay na si late Sultan Punjungan Kiram, na 32nd sultan of Sulu, ang habilin sa mga anak ay 'Sabah is not for sale. 

Sabah is the patrimony of the Filipino people,'" Idjirani said.

"Ang naapektuhan dito ay 'di lang pamilya ng Kiram kundi mga constituency ng sultanate sa Sulu archipelago dahil sa paniniwala nila ang Sabah ay pag-aangkin ng sultanate ng sulua at ng Pilipinas."

No violence

Idjirani said the armed followers have also been ordered not to instigate violence.
"Hindi ko ibig sabihin na the Muslim will not fight against Muslim, but in line with the preaching of Islam, ganoon ang mangyayari," he said.

"Pero kung gagawin nila na lulusubin ang kuta o community na kinaroroonan ng ating mga kapatid, the issue of Sabah will come out, at malalaman ng buong mundo kung sino ang may-ari at sinong 'di nagmamay-ari ng disputed territory."

Idjirani said Sultan Jamalul Kiram III yesterday sent a letter to Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Tun Razak requesting that the Malaysian government hold talks with the group in Sabah.
"Gusto rin nilang ma-resolve ang issue peacefully. Ngunit ang sabi ni Raja Muda Abimuddin Kiram, kailangan ditto (Sabah) mapag-usapan," Idjirani said, referring to the sultan's brother who led the group to Sabah.

"Ang sabi ni Raja Muda Abimuddin Kiram, 'let us talk, negotiate, para malaman natin ang parameters kung saan tayo mag-meet in between.'

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dharel Placido | ABS-CBNnews.com | February 20, 2013 | Article Link

Comments

More Philippine Defense News

AFP Modernization 2017: Highlights and Review

The modernization of the Armed Forces of the Philippines was on a roll this year, as we've seen a few big ticket items having completely delivered this year. Game changers as they say, these new assets have proven their capabilities both in combat and humanitarian missions.

Here's a brief on everything what we know about the AFP modernization this 2017.

Philippine Air Force  FA-50PH


The final batch of the FA-50PH Lead-In Fighter Trainers have been successfully delivered by the Korean Aerospace Industries last May. The last batch of 2 arrived on May 31st at Clark Air Base. The contract consist of 12 FA-50's at the price of Php 18.9 billion. AFP spokesperson Brig. Gen. Restituto Padilla mentioned on a March 23 article in Inquirer that there are plans to purchase 6 more additional FA-50's if the funding allows it and if the performance is good.

FA-50PH Weapons - AIM-9 Air-to-air Missiles
Aside from the aircraft itself the Department of National Defense also ordered AIM-9

DND wants frigate with 'surface-to-air' missile power

MANILA, Philippines - Defense spokesperson Peter Paul Galvez announced on Friday that one of the frigates to be acquired by the Philippines will have "surface-to-air" capabilities. That is, the ship will have the capability to fire missiles, guided by radar or heat sensors, at airborne targets.
"Aside from this, our latest frigate will have heavier gun armament and other equipment that will make it very effective in patrolling and securing the country's waters," Galvez said in Filipino.
He declined to state the particular country the Philippines will acquire this ship but stressed that acquisition will be done through a government-to-government transaction.
The Philippines has taken on a new sense of urgency to upgrade its naval capabilities as tensions continue to rise around the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea). US President Barack Obama's announced "pivot" for America towards the Pacific has stirred greater naval activity on the p…

2 deliveries in 2018 to beef up Philippine Navy's capability

Two more platforms which will help boost the Philippine Navy (PN)'s capabilities to defend the country's vast maritime domains are expected to be delivered this 2018. This was bared by Defense spokesperson Arsenio Andolong when sought for an update on other deliverable items for the PN this year.
3 MPAC mk3's with Spike ER System This has been discussed already in the AFP Modernization 2017 Highlights article.  

First among the deliverables is the Rafael Advanced Defense Systems Ltd's Spike ER (extended range) missile systems which will be fitted on three of the Navy's brand-new multi-purpose assault craft (MPAC) which was activated last May 22.

The weapons are on anti-ship mode meaning it can engage surface vessel targets and is capable of penetrating 1,000 mm (39 inches) of rolled homogeneous armor and has a maximum range of five miles. And while not giving the exact dates for the delivery of the missiles and its platforms for security purpose, Andolong said the…