Skip to main content

Army repels Abu Sayyaf attack

ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines - Abu Sayyaf militants attacked a military detachment in Sumisip town, Basilan but were repelled by government troops, a military official said.

The Abu Sayyaf militants led by Kumander Botong Aleman fired on the army detachment Monday about 9:20 a.m. at Barangay Candiis, triggering heavy exchange of firepower.

Capt. Alberto Caber, public affairs chief of the 1st Infantry Division (ID), said troops from the 64th Infantry Battalion and the Special Forces Team 1405 retaliated and repelled the militants.

He said the troops also unleashed rounds of mortar fire toward the position of the Abu Sayyaf group prompting the attacking militants to retreat in the deep forest.

Caber said no one was killed on the government troops' side during the attack.

“The soldiers have successfully defended the camp, which had been subjected to attacks for five times already by the Abu Sayyaf group,” Caber said.

Major Gen. Ricardo Rainier Cruz III, 1st ID chief, commended the troops in defending the detachment and ordered the soldiers to continue its Bayanihan works in Sumisip, Basilan to defeat the scourge of terrorism spawned by the Abu sayyaf group.

“The successful defense of the detachment by our foot soldiers is a pledge that our army is sincere and not tired in protecting the mixed Muslim-Christian community against rogue elements in Basilan.”

Caber said the attack revealed plans of the Abu Sayyaf group to regain possession of the area where the detachment was established.

“Evidently, the location served as the former militants’ observation post to provide them great tactical advantage in the area against government troops,” Caber said.

The military troops overrun the area in an offensive against the Abu Sayyaf and the lost command Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) late last year after intelligence information revealed the group used the area as their planning and staging point against the civilians and military forces. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Roel Pareño | The Philippine Star | September 18, 2012 | Article Link

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing this latest breaking news about the Army repels Abu Sayyaf attack.Let's pray for the full peace in our country.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

More Philippine Defense News

AFP Modernization 2017: Highlights and Review

The modernization of the Armed Forces of the Philippines was on a roll this year, as we've seen a few big ticket items having completely delivered this year. Game changers as they say, these new assets have proven their capabilities both in combat and humanitarian missions.

Here's a brief on everything what we know about the AFP modernization this 2017.

Philippine Air Force  FA-50PH


The final batch of the FA-50PH Lead-In Fighter Trainers have been successfully delivered by the Korean Aerospace Industries last May. The last batch of 2 arrived on May 31st at Clark Air Base. The contract consist of 12 FA-50's at the price of Php 18.9 billion. AFP spokesperson Brig. Gen. Restituto Padilla mentioned on a March 23 article in Inquirer that there are plans to purchase 6 more additional FA-50's if the funding allows it and if the performance is good.

FA-50PH Weapons - AIM-9 Air-to-air Missiles
Aside from the aircraft itself the Department of National Defense also ordered AIM-9

DND wants frigate with 'surface-to-air' missile power

MANILA, Philippines - Defense spokesperson Peter Paul Galvez announced on Friday that one of the frigates to be acquired by the Philippines will have "surface-to-air" capabilities. That is, the ship will have the capability to fire missiles, guided by radar or heat sensors, at airborne targets.
"Aside from this, our latest frigate will have heavier gun armament and other equipment that will make it very effective in patrolling and securing the country's waters," Galvez said in Filipino.
He declined to state the particular country the Philippines will acquire this ship but stressed that acquisition will be done through a government-to-government transaction.
The Philippines has taken on a new sense of urgency to upgrade its naval capabilities as tensions continue to rise around the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea). US President Barack Obama's announced "pivot" for America towards the Pacific has stirred greater naval activity on the p…

2 deliveries in 2018 to beef up Philippine Navy's capability

Two more platforms which will help boost the Philippine Navy (PN)'s capabilities to defend the country's vast maritime domains are expected to be delivered this 2018. This was bared by Defense spokesperson Arsenio Andolong when sought for an update on other deliverable items for the PN this year.
3 MPAC mk3's with Spike ER System This has been discussed already in the AFP Modernization 2017 Highlights article.  

First among the deliverables is the Rafael Advanced Defense Systems Ltd's Spike ER (extended range) missile systems which will be fitted on three of the Navy's brand-new multi-purpose assault craft (MPAC) which was activated last May 22.

The weapons are on anti-ship mode meaning it can engage surface vessel targets and is capable of penetrating 1,000 mm (39 inches) of rolled homogeneous armor and has a maximum range of five miles. And while not giving the exact dates for the delivery of the missiles and its platforms for security purpose, Andolong said the…