Skip to main content

Smart bombs no, smart pilots yes, says PAF general

ZAMBOANGA CITY—The Philippine Air Force (PAF) used “smart pilots”—not US satellite-guided “smart bombs”—when it hit an Abu Sayyaf lair in Parang, Sulu province, on February 2 and killed a bandit leader, Gumbahali Jumdail, and other terrorists, a PAF general insisted Thursday.

Major General Jose Tony Villarete, commander of the 3rd Air Division based in Zamboanga City, was reacting to an Associated Press report which said the PAF used satellite-guided bombs—a previously unavailable technology acquired from the United States in blasting the Abu Sayyaf hideout.

Villarete told the Philippine Daily Inquirer he felt insulted by the report that “attributes such a victory to American soldiers … It appears we had no capability to strike using our existing hardware.”

Villarete said: “Everyone knows how old our aircraft are, like the OV-10s. What we employed were smart pilots, four smart pilots using old aircraft.”

Please credit Air Force

Even if smart bomb technology was made available to the PAF, Villarete said “it was impossible to attach guided missiles to aging aircraft.”

“No such smart bombs, just smart pilots, please credit our Air Force,” he said.

Villarete admitted that the pilots involved in the strike underwent training with US forces here.

“And we will always place all our pilots under training with the US, we have been training them before, now and in the future,” he added.

Oplan Nemesis

The Western Mindanao Command chief, Major General Noel Coballes, also denied the AP report.

He said what the military used in the strikes were two OV-10 aircraft loaded with 500-pound bombs.

“I may have not seen how the bombs were attached but I was informed about it,” Coballes said.

He said the bombing run was the result of weeks of planning.

Two weeks before the operation “code-named Oplan Nemesis” was launched, the pilots that carried it out were trained by US forces on “how to use the said aircraft in a manner that they can deliver a successful air strike at dawn,” he said.

Coballes said part of the training module was how to effectively set off bombs to cause more damage.

Senior Superintendent Antonio Freyra, Sulu police chief, said that when police investigators went to the area hit by the bombs a few hours after the strikes, they saw a “clean hit.”

“The destruction was so great that I asked myself if smart bombs were not used in the attack,” Freyra said by phone.  He said the explosions left no crater “so I also suspected that a new technology was used.”

He said he was later told the bombs were set off in mid air.

Lieutenant Colonel Randolph Cabangbang, spokesperson of the Western Mindanao Command, said they expected issues such as this to be raised, especially by skeptics.
“Basically, what we had was a reliable asset, timely intelligence, deliberate planning and well-trained pilots,” he said.

-----------------------------------------------------------

More Philippine Defense News

DND wants frigate with 'surface-to-air' missile power

MANILA, Philippines - Defense spokesperson Peter Paul Galvez announced on Friday that one of the frigates to be acquired by the Philippines will have "surface-to-air" capabilities. That is, the ship will have the capability to fire missiles, guided by radar or heat sensors, at airborne targets.
"Aside from this, our latest frigate will have heavier gun armament and other equipment that will make it very effective in patrolling and securing the country's waters," Galvez said in Filipino.
He declined to state the particular country the Philippines will acquire this ship but stressed that acquisition will be done through a government-to-government transaction.
The Philippines has taken on a new sense of urgency to upgrade its naval capabilities as tensions continue to rise around the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea). US President Barack Obama's announced "pivot" for America towards the Pacific has stirred greater naval activity on the p…

No reduction in AFP manpower size

THERE will be no reduction in the number of soldiers of the Armed Forces of the Philippines when it implements the streamlining of commands by 2013, a senior officer told the Manila Standard in an exclusive interview.
“Under the Force Structure Review, there will be streamlining of units but this does not mean reduction in terms of the number of soldiers. In fact, the FSR calls for more recruits in the future,” the source, who requested anonymity, said.
At present, the military has a total of 125,000 soldiers, of which almost 85,000 are in the Army and the rest in the Navy-Marines and Air Force.
The FSR calls for an in-depth study of the AFP history in reference to pertinent laws of the land in conjunction with the challenges of internal and external defense.
The study also calls for the establishment of a strategic command that will focus on external defense where the main force would be the Air Force and Navy.
On instructions of Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin, former military ch…

Philippine Armored Vehicles with ad-hoc wood slat armor

While searching for Philippine armored vehicles for the updates being done for both the blog and the Facebook page I chanced upon images of Philippine Army and Marine armor assets covered with thick wood planks as slat armor for protection from rocket propelled grenades. This caught the eyes of Popular Mechanics who published an article last June 8th just for this subject.


According to the article,
Wood armor on armored vehicles won't save them from ISIS rockets. Not sure, I'll leave that to the actual reports from the Philippine Military in using wood as an ad hoc protection for rpg's, but yes this is only during emergencies. The Philippine Army and Philippine Marines should employ or use the real add-on armors currently in the market for armored vehicle protection. Or they could just simply buy new thicker-armored vehicles to be used for front-line operations and have the old vehicles to be used in secondary missions or as support vehicles.



Nonetheless the fast-thinkin…