Skip to main content

Rebels abduct Manobo tribesman in North Cotabato


MAGUINDANAO, Philippines - Communist rebels are holding captive a Manobo tribesman, who survived a landmine blast that left his brother and two soldiers dead three days ago in Makilala, North Cotabato.

The captive, Postelo Egkil, and his slain sibling, Jumer, were aiding members the Army's 40th and 57th Infantry Battalions (IB) locate encampments of the New People's Army in Barangay Buhay, when a soldier stepped on a landmine, triggering a powerful blast.

Two soldiers identified as Pfc. Celestino Alejandro and Pfc. Ismirol Musa, members of the 40th IB, died from the blast.

Army officials said Egkil could have been disoriented by the explosion and strayed deep into a nearby forest crawling with NPA fighters.

Manobo settlers in Barangay Buhay, located at the foot of Mt. Apo, have been helping the military track down NPA rebels in the area, apparently incensed by the rebels' excessive taxation activities.

Lt. Col. Noel Dela Cruz, The commanding officer of the 57th IB, said the rebels blasted 10 powerful roadside bombs Monday morning, as if trying to scare civilians for them no to cooperate with the military.

The bombing frenzy came at the heels of last week's bloody encounter between the Army and the rebels in Barangay Buhay, which left five soldiers wounded.

Local officials and key members of Makilala's municipal peace and order council have confirmed that four NPA rebels were killed while five others, mostly adolescents, were wounded in the ensuing firefights, which forced dozens of families to evacuate to safer areas.

The rebels were led by two notorious commanders, Budong and Enoy, both wanted for heinous offenses, including arson, armed robberies and multiple murders.

Makilala's municipal social welfare officer, Lina Canedo, said many of the evacuees are now housed in makeshift evacuation sites.

"Some of them are in the houses of their relatives in nearby barangays," she said.
Local officials are now trying to secure the release of the Manobo tribesman being held captive by the rebels.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Unson | The Philippine Star | March 07, 2012 | Article Link

Comments

More Philippine Defense News

AFP Modernization 2017: Highlights and Review

The modernization of the Armed Forces of the Philippines was on a roll this year, as we've seen a few big ticket items having completely delivered this year. Game changers as they say, these new assets have proven their capabilities both in combat and humanitarian missions.

Here's a brief on everything what we know about the AFP modernization this 2017.

Philippine Air Force  FA-50PH


The final batch of the FA-50PH Lead-In Fighter Trainers have been successfully delivered by the Korean Aerospace Industries last May. The last batch of 2 arrived on May 31st at Clark Air Base. The contract consist of 12 FA-50's at the price of Php 18.9 billion. AFP spokesperson Brig. Gen. Restituto Padilla mentioned on a March 23 article in Inquirer that there are plans to purchase 6 more additional FA-50's if the funding allows it and if the performance is good.

FA-50PH Weapons - AIM-9 Air-to-air Missiles
Aside from the aircraft itself the Department of National Defense also ordered AIM-9

DND wants frigate with 'surface-to-air' missile power

MANILA, Philippines - Defense spokesperson Peter Paul Galvez announced on Friday that one of the frigates to be acquired by the Philippines will have "surface-to-air" capabilities. That is, the ship will have the capability to fire missiles, guided by radar or heat sensors, at airborne targets.
"Aside from this, our latest frigate will have heavier gun armament and other equipment that will make it very effective in patrolling and securing the country's waters," Galvez said in Filipino.
He declined to state the particular country the Philippines will acquire this ship but stressed that acquisition will be done through a government-to-government transaction.
The Philippines has taken on a new sense of urgency to upgrade its naval capabilities as tensions continue to rise around the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea). US President Barack Obama's announced "pivot" for America towards the Pacific has stirred greater naval activity on the p…

Special Forces Assault Boat and the Philippine Aerospace Development Corporation

Special Forces assault boats to beef up patrols in Davao Gulf
Special Forces assault boats will soon patrol Davao Gulf to detect and deter piracy and terrorist threats in southern waters.

Two of these boats were formally turned over by Special Forces Regiment commander Brig. Gen. Ramiro Manuel Rey to Eastern Mindanao Command chief Lt. Gen. Benjamin Madrigal in Davao City on Tuesday, the EastMinCom said in a statement.

Madrigal said the boats will be “an additional capability in securing the municipal waters in the area of responsibility, particularly Davao Gulf, to preempt terrorists, piracy and other security threats from using the sea lanes in their terrorist and criminal acts. It can also be used for water search and rescue operations.”

The boats have counter/anti-terrorist capability and will be manned by Special Forces Riverine troopers.

The boats will be initially deployed with Joint Task Force Haribon which has the jurisdiction of Mega Davao, the Eastern Mindanao Command said.

Ori…