Skip to main content

Philippines hunts for proof of slain militants


The Philippine military said Friday it had not been able to obtain proof that it killed three of Southeast Asia's most-wanted terror suspects, but insisted the trio had died in a US-backed airstrike.
Troops were sent to the isolated jungle area where Thursday's bombing took place on the remote southern island of Jolo, but they found no bodies, armed forces spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Arnulfo Burgos told reporters in Manila.
Burgos said the three senior leaders from the Al Qaeda-linked Abu Sayyaf and Jemaah Islamiyah (JI) networks, as well as 12 slain junior figures, had been taken away by fellow militants and quickly buried as per Muslim custom.
"After the airstrike, the bodies were taken immediately," Burgos said.
However he said the military was certain the top trio had been killed, based on intelligence "assets".
"Yes, its an A-1 (information). We have something but we cannot divulge all the other information because its an operational (secret)," he said.
The highest-profile militant reported slain was Malaysian Zulkifli bin Abdul Hir, alias Marwan, one of the United States' most-wanted terror suspects with a $5 million bounty on his head from the US government.
Zulkifli was one of JI's top leaders and a bomb-making expert who had been hiding out in the southern Philippines since 2003, according to the US State Department.
Also reported killed was Singaporean Mohammad Ali, alias Muawiyah, another JI leader who had been hiding in the Philippines since the group killed 202 people in a series of bomb attacks on the Indonesian island of Bali in 2002.
The third senior militant reported killed was Filipino Abu Pula, also known as Doctor Abu or Umbra Jumdail, one of the core leaders of the Abu Sayyaf that is blamed for the worst terrorist attacks in the Philippines.
There was particular focus Friday on whether Philippine authorities could provide proof that the high-value trio had been slain because of previous incorrect claims of killing senior militants.
In 2009, the military said it had killed senior Abu Sayyaf commander Albader Parad but he gave a radio interview a few days later to prove he was still alive.
In 2001, then-president Gloria Arroyo said the Abu Sayyaf's top leader, Khadaffy Janjalani, had been killed. He later went on television to prove he was alive.
Burgos said Friday that security forces were confident of finding the bodies of the slain leaders, or at least pieces that would allow DNA confirmation.
But efforts to search the remote jungle area where the airstrike took place were hampered by gunfire from the surviving extremists, said regional military spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Randloph Cabangbang.
"There is occasional gunfire. They fire from a distance, just to disrupt our operations," he said.
The US military helped in Thursday's attack by providing intelligence support, military officials said.
A rotating force of 600 US Special Forces has been stationed in the southern Philippines since 2002 to help train local troops in how to combat Islamic militants.
The US forces are only allowed to advise the Filipino soldiers and are banned from playing a combat role.
Spokespeople at the US embassy in Manila declined to comment on Thursday's attack, referring all questions to the Philippine military.
------------------------------------
By Mynardo Macaraig | AFP News – Fri, Feb 3, 2012
Yahoo News

Comments

More Philippine Defense News

DND wants frigate with 'surface-to-air' missile power

MANILA, Philippines - Defense spokesperson Peter Paul Galvez announced on Friday that one of the frigates to be acquired by the Philippines will have "surface-to-air" capabilities. That is, the ship will have the capability to fire missiles, guided by radar or heat sensors, at airborne targets.
"Aside from this, our latest frigate will have heavier gun armament and other equipment that will make it very effective in patrolling and securing the country's waters," Galvez said in Filipino.
He declined to state the particular country the Philippines will acquire this ship but stressed that acquisition will be done through a government-to-government transaction.
The Philippines has taken on a new sense of urgency to upgrade its naval capabilities as tensions continue to rise around the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea). US President Barack Obama's announced "pivot" for America towards the Pacific has stirred greater naval activity on the p…

No reduction in AFP manpower size

THERE will be no reduction in the number of soldiers of the Armed Forces of the Philippines when it implements the streamlining of commands by 2013, a senior officer told the Manila Standard in an exclusive interview.
“Under the Force Structure Review, there will be streamlining of units but this does not mean reduction in terms of the number of soldiers. In fact, the FSR calls for more recruits in the future,” the source, who requested anonymity, said.
At present, the military has a total of 125,000 soldiers, of which almost 85,000 are in the Army and the rest in the Navy-Marines and Air Force.
The FSR calls for an in-depth study of the AFP history in reference to pertinent laws of the land in conjunction with the challenges of internal and external defense.
The study also calls for the establishment of a strategic command that will focus on external defense where the main force would be the Air Force and Navy.
On instructions of Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin, former military ch…

Duterte visits Pakistan navy ship docked in Manila - CNN Philippines

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, December 14) — President Rodrigo Duterte toured a Pakistani naval ship Thursday and extended an open invitation to its crew to visit the country any time.

The Navy Ship SAIF, one of the four F-22P or Zulfiguar-class frigates of Pakistan, is on a three-day goodwill visit. It will stay in the country until December 17.

For more about the CNN Philippines article.


According to the Naval Technology website:
The F-22P or Zulfiquar (English: Sword) class frigate is a 2,500t multi-mission, conventionally powered frigate built for the Pakistan Navy. Design and construction of the F-22P started after a $750m deal was signed in 2005 between Pakistan’s Ministry of Defence Production (MoDP) and China Shipbuilding Trading Co (CSTC). It is equipped with a 76.2mm main gun, an 8 round FM-90 Surface-to-Air Missile, C-802/CSS N-8 Surface-to-Surface Missile in 2 containers each containing 4 missiles, 2 Type-730B 30mm Close-in Weapon System, and 2 Triple ET-52C Torp…