Skip to main content

Palparan: AFP not coddling me


MALOLOS CITY - Retired Army General Jovito Palparan denied that the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) is coddling him and assured that he will refuse if offered assistance by retired generals.

“This is my own fight, do not blame the AFP and the retired generals for the continued failure of the government to have me arrested,” Palparan said in a one-page statement given by his lawyer, Jesus Santos, to journalists yesterday.

The retired military general said that he has deep respect for the AFP and the retired generals and he will not implicate them in a situation where their reputation will be put at stake.

“Once again, I call on the human rights groups to stop dragging the name of the AFP and the retired generals. Stop accusing them of coddling me,” Palparan said as he reiterated his vow not to surrender.

He said the AFP is a noble institution, whose members have pledged and took the oath to protect the people and uphold the law at all times.

He stressed that even if the AFP and the retired generals offer him assistance including a place to hide, he will not accept saying, “ I don’t want them to be involved.”

With regards to charges of kidnapping with serious illegal detention filed against him, the retired general said he instructed his lawyers to file all pleadings allowed before the court and the Department of Justice to prove that the charges against him are false and the procedure conducted was improper.

Santos, meanwhile, appealed to the government to consider utilizing Palparan for his skills brought by his training and experience as a soldier.

“General Palparan has always expressed his love for our country. He was never tainted with charges of corruption,” Santos said and added that his client was even sent by the government to head the Philippine contingent to East Timor and Iraq.

Santos also said that he has sent a letter to the director of the National Bureau of Investigation to help find Sherlyn Cadapan and Karen Empeño, the two missing University of the Philippines (UP) students abducted in Hagonoy town on June 26, 2006.

Palparan is accused of masterminding the kidnapping of the two students.

Last week, Santos manifested in court that he received information that the two students are still alive.

“I believe that they are still alive, and if found, there will be no case against General Palparan,” Santos said.
However, members of militant groups think otherwise.

They said that information manifested in court by Santos may lead to another wild goose chase, and might be part of a grand design to delay the case.

Members of Alyansang Mamamayan Para sa Karapatang Pantao (ALMMA)-Bulacan chapter said Palparan must be immediately hauled to jail.

They also challenged Palparan to surrender and prove his innocence before the court of law.
--------------------------------------------
PhilStar.Com
February 10, 2012 01:31 PM

Comments

More Philippine Defense News

AFP Modernization 2017: Highlights and Review

The modernization of the Armed Forces of the Philippines was on a roll this year, as we've seen a few big ticket items having completely delivered this year. Game changers as they say, these new assets have proven their capabilities both in combat and humanitarian missions.

Here's a brief on everything what we know about the AFP modernization this 2017.

Philippine Air Force  FA-50PH


The final batch of the FA-50PH Lead-In Fighter Trainers have been successfully delivered by the Korean Aerospace Industries last May. The last batch of 2 arrived on May 31st at Clark Air Base. The contract consist of 12 FA-50's at the price of Php 18.9 billion. AFP spokesperson Brig. Gen. Restituto Padilla mentioned on a March 23 article in Inquirer that there are plans to purchase 6 more additional FA-50's if the funding allows it and if the performance is good.

FA-50PH Weapons - AIM-9 Air-to-air Missiles
Aside from the aircraft itself the Department of National Defense also ordered AIM-9

DND wants frigate with 'surface-to-air' missile power

MANILA, Philippines - Defense spokesperson Peter Paul Galvez announced on Friday that one of the frigates to be acquired by the Philippines will have "surface-to-air" capabilities. That is, the ship will have the capability to fire missiles, guided by radar or heat sensors, at airborne targets.
"Aside from this, our latest frigate will have heavier gun armament and other equipment that will make it very effective in patrolling and securing the country's waters," Galvez said in Filipino.
He declined to state the particular country the Philippines will acquire this ship but stressed that acquisition will be done through a government-to-government transaction.
The Philippines has taken on a new sense of urgency to upgrade its naval capabilities as tensions continue to rise around the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea). US President Barack Obama's announced "pivot" for America towards the Pacific has stirred greater naval activity on the p…

Special Forces Assault Boat and the Philippine Aerospace Development Corporation

Special Forces assault boats to beef up patrols in Davao Gulf
Special Forces assault boats will soon patrol Davao Gulf to detect and deter piracy and terrorist threats in southern waters.

Two of these boats were formally turned over by Special Forces Regiment commander Brig. Gen. Ramiro Manuel Rey to Eastern Mindanao Command chief Lt. Gen. Benjamin Madrigal in Davao City on Tuesday, the EastMinCom said in a statement.

Madrigal said the boats will be “an additional capability in securing the municipal waters in the area of responsibility, particularly Davao Gulf, to preempt terrorists, piracy and other security threats from using the sea lanes in their terrorist and criminal acts. It can also be used for water search and rescue operations.”

The boats have counter/anti-terrorist capability and will be manned by Special Forces Riverine troopers.

The boats will be initially deployed with Joint Task Force Haribon which has the jurisdiction of Mega Davao, the Eastern Mindanao Command said.

Ori…