Skip to main content

Nanta release minor setback


The release of alleged New People’s Army regional commander Romeo Nanta may be a little setback, but, the military leadership in Negros Occidental is looking into its positive side.

Col. Oscar Lactao, 303rd Infantry Brigade commander, yesterday said the almost four months of incarceration of Nanta has probably provided time for him to reflect on the futility of the armed struggle, and of rejoining his family, instead of returning to the mountains.

Nanta, alias Ka Juaning, was freed from jail Tuesday after posting bail of P100,000 for robbery-in-band, and P14,800 for an arson case.

Lactao said Nanta availed of the services of government institutions that they have been hitting and trying to destroy.

“It may also serve as an awakening for him that they could work for our current institutions and process”, he added, referring to the detention of the alleged rebel leader.

With this development, Lactao said, Nanta may have a change of mind.

Survivors and families of victims of ambushes in Brgy. Salamanca, Toboso, allegedly perpetrated by the NPA, have expressed concern over the release of Nanta, after filing charges against him for multiple murder and frustrated murder.

AMBUSHES

The ambush of civilians on board a government vehicle in July 13, 2009, claimed the lives of Edmar Sultan, 14, a student of the Toboso National High School, Rodolfo Salipod, 56, driver, and Ena Pata, 50, police records show.

Eryl Baynosa, 42, one of the survivors and son of Eriberto Baynosa, former barangay captain of Salamanca in Toboso, who was reportedly marked for liquidation by the NPA, pointed to Nanta as the leader of the armed men who led an ambush.

Lactao, who admitted that Nanta’s release was a small setback in their legal offensive campaign against NPA personalities in Negros Occidental, stressed that the Armed Forces of the Philippines and National Police have done their job in arresting him. Nanta was described as a notorious criminal in the province, with numerous cases lodged against him.

“The court has granted his motion for bail, so we have to respect and follow the court order,” he said.

BACK TO THE MOUNTAINS

Several top NPA leaders arrested in Negros Occidental, in previous years, including Marilyn Badayos, secretary of the Komiteng Rehiyonal Sentral Bisayas; Mary Grace Delicano, secretary of the South West Front Committee; Rogelio Danoso, secretary of the Northern Negros Front Committee; Nilda Natan Bertulano, secretary of the Central Negros Front Committee, rejoined their comrades in the mountains, after their release from jail, military records show.

Lactao underscored the need create a special law, to be applied to arrested members of the organized crime groups, including the CPP-NPA.

He noted that the laws applied to organized crime groups are for common criminals. “Maybe it is time our legislators look into our legal tools,” Lactao said.

VARIOUS CRIMES

Nanta was intercepted and apprehended in November 7 last year in Cadiz City, on arrest warrants for crimes of rebellion, robbery-in-band, and attempted and frustrated murder.

He was also linked to the raid and disarming of the 1st Provincial Mobile Group detachment at Barangay Malasibog, Escalante on March 19, 2006; harassment of the Villegas Detachment at Barangay Villegas, Guihulngan, Negros Oriental on April 2006; arson at the Victorias Milling Company and Central Lopez transloading station at Barangay San Jose, Toboso on March 2008; and the burning of the Globe Telecom cell site in Purok Mabuhay, Barangay Poblacion, Toboso, Negros Occidental.

Police Supt. David Cachumbo, who represented Senior Supt. Allan Guisihan, provincial police director, in a press briefing at Camp Alfredo Montelibano Sr. in Bacolod City, said the bail of Nanta may be revoked and an arrest warrant issued against him, if he ignores the subpoena to be sent to him, and fails to attend his court hearing.
-------------------------------------------------
BY GILBERT BAYORAN
The Visayan Daily Star
Thursday, February 23, 2012

Comments

More Philippine Defense News

DND wants frigate with 'surface-to-air' missile power

MANILA, Philippines - Defense spokesperson Peter Paul Galvez announced on Friday that one of the frigates to be acquired by the Philippines will have "surface-to-air" capabilities. That is, the ship will have the capability to fire missiles, guided by radar or heat sensors, at airborne targets.
"Aside from this, our latest frigate will have heavier gun armament and other equipment that will make it very effective in patrolling and securing the country's waters," Galvez said in Filipino.
He declined to state the particular country the Philippines will acquire this ship but stressed that acquisition will be done through a government-to-government transaction.
The Philippines has taken on a new sense of urgency to upgrade its naval capabilities as tensions continue to rise around the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea). US President Barack Obama's announced "pivot" for America towards the Pacific has stirred greater naval activity on the p…

No reduction in AFP manpower size

THERE will be no reduction in the number of soldiers of the Armed Forces of the Philippines when it implements the streamlining of commands by 2013, a senior officer told the Manila Standard in an exclusive interview.
“Under the Force Structure Review, there will be streamlining of units but this does not mean reduction in terms of the number of soldiers. In fact, the FSR calls for more recruits in the future,” the source, who requested anonymity, said.
At present, the military has a total of 125,000 soldiers, of which almost 85,000 are in the Army and the rest in the Navy-Marines and Air Force.
The FSR calls for an in-depth study of the AFP history in reference to pertinent laws of the land in conjunction with the challenges of internal and external defense.
The study also calls for the establishment of a strategic command that will focus on external defense where the main force would be the Air Force and Navy.
On instructions of Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin, former military ch…

Philippine Armored Vehicles with ad-hoc wood slat armor

While searching for Philippine armored vehicles for the updates being done for both the blog and the Facebook page I chanced upon images of Philippine Army and Marine armor assets covered with thick wood planks as slat armor for protection from rocket propelled grenades. This caught the eyes of Popular Mechanics who published an article last June 8th just for this subject.


According to the article,
Wood armor on armored vehicles won't save them from ISIS rockets. Not sure, I'll leave that to the actual reports from the Philippine Military in using wood as an ad hoc protection for rpg's, but yes this is only during emergencies. The Philippine Army and Philippine Marines should employ or use the real add-on armors currently in the market for armored vehicle protection. Or they could just simply buy new thicker-armored vehicles to be used for front-line operations and have the old vehicles to be used in secondary missions or as support vehicles.



Nonetheless the fast-thinkin…