Skip to main content

Kidnapped Filipino guide escapes from captors in Tawi-Tawi


MANILA, Philippines—A Filipino guide seized Wednesday in Tawi-Tawi along with two European birdwatchers has escaped from their abductors, police told INQUIRER.net.
Ivan Sarenas escaped from the five gunmen who abducted him said Director Felicisimo Khu, chief of the Directorate of Integrated Police Operations in Western Mindanao.
But the foreigners—Swiss national Lorenzo Vinciguerra, 47, and Dutchman Ewold Horn, 52—remain with their captors, Khu said.
The gunmen seized the three men while they were on a birdwatching trip in Sitio Look-look, in the village of Parangan in Panglima Sugala town, he said.
They were forced onto a speedboat, regional military spokesman Lieutenant-Colonel Randolph Cabangbang told Agence France-Presse.
A second Filipino guide escaped  and was the first to report the crime to authorities, he added.
Sarenas, meanwhile, escaped by jumping out of the speeding pump boat at around 9:30 p.m., he said in a report he sent to Philippine National Police spokesperson Chief Superintendent Agrimero Cruz Jr.
He has been brought to Panglima Sugala municipal police station where he was being interviewed by the police director for Tawi-Tawi, said Khu.
Sarenas is a member of the Wild Bird Club of the Philippines and frequently visits Tawi-Tawi, the club’s treasurer, Michael Lu, told Agence France-Presse.
“He had been a frequent visitor to Tawi-Tawi and he is the only person I know who has pictures of rare birds from that area, such as the Sulu hornbill,” Lu said.
The Dutch foreign ministry refused to confirm the abduction at present and said it did not know the identity of the person kidnapped.
Cabangbang said the military did not yet know who abducted the trio.
Police said that the suspects armed with an M203, two M16 rifles, and two caliber .45 pistols, were on board a pump boat and might be headed towards Sulu.
The Tawi-Tawi Crisis Management Committee has since been activated with joint forces of the police, navy and marines working to rescue the victims.
Wednesday’s abductions lift the number of foreigners kidnapped in Mindanao since the beginning of last year to more than 10.
Five of them — an Australian, two Malaysian traders, an Indian married to a Filipina and a Japanese man — are still in captivity. Three abducted Filipinos are also still being held.
The Australian, 53-year-old Warren Rodwell, was kidnapped from his home in in a southern town in December and appeared in a video released to media last month in which he said his adbuctors were demanding $2 million for his release.
In 2000 the Abu Sayyaf kidnapped 21 mostly European tourists from a Malaysian island resort and brought them by boat to the Philippine island of Jolo, not far from Tawi Tawi.
The hostages were ransomed off after many months for millions of dollars, with Libya brokering the deals and facilitating their release.
The following year the Abu Sayyaf kidnapped three Americans along with a group of Filipino tourists from a southwestern Philippine island resort. One of the Americans was beheaded and another was killed during a rescue attempt.
The Abu Sayyaf was founded in the 1990s with seed money from Osama bin Laden’s Al-Qaeda network.
It is believed to have only a few hundred militants but is blamed for the country’s worst terrorist attacks, including the bombing of a ferry in Manila in 2004 that killed more than 100 people, as well as the kidnappings.
----------------------------------------
6:00 am | Thursday, February 2nd, 2012

Comments

More Philippine Defense News

AFP Modernization 2017: Highlights and Review

The modernization of the Armed Forces of the Philippines was on a roll this year, as we've seen a few big ticket items having completely delivered this year. Game changers as they say, these new assets have proven their capabilities both in combat and humanitarian missions.

Here's a brief on everything what we know about the AFP modernization this 2017.

Philippine Air Force  FA-50PH


The final batch of the FA-50PH Lead-In Fighter Trainers have been successfully delivered by the Korean Aerospace Industries last May. The last batch of 2 arrived on May 31st at Clark Air Base. The contract consist of 12 FA-50's at the price of Php 18.9 billion. AFP spokesperson Brig. Gen. Restituto Padilla mentioned on a March 23 article in Inquirer that there are plans to purchase 6 more additional FA-50's if the funding allows it and if the performance is good.

FA-50PH Weapons - AIM-9 Air-to-air Missiles
Aside from the aircraft itself the Department of National Defense also ordered AIM-9

DND wants frigate with 'surface-to-air' missile power

MANILA, Philippines - Defense spokesperson Peter Paul Galvez announced on Friday that one of the frigates to be acquired by the Philippines will have "surface-to-air" capabilities. That is, the ship will have the capability to fire missiles, guided by radar or heat sensors, at airborne targets.
"Aside from this, our latest frigate will have heavier gun armament and other equipment that will make it very effective in patrolling and securing the country's waters," Galvez said in Filipino.
He declined to state the particular country the Philippines will acquire this ship but stressed that acquisition will be done through a government-to-government transaction.
The Philippines has taken on a new sense of urgency to upgrade its naval capabilities as tensions continue to rise around the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea). US President Barack Obama's announced "pivot" for America towards the Pacific has stirred greater naval activity on the p…

Special Forces Assault Boat and the Philippine Aerospace Development Corporation

Special Forces assault boats to beef up patrols in Davao Gulf
Special Forces assault boats will soon patrol Davao Gulf to detect and deter piracy and terrorist threats in southern waters.

Two of these boats were formally turned over by Special Forces Regiment commander Brig. Gen. Ramiro Manuel Rey to Eastern Mindanao Command chief Lt. Gen. Benjamin Madrigal in Davao City on Tuesday, the EastMinCom said in a statement.

Madrigal said the boats will be “an additional capability in securing the municipal waters in the area of responsibility, particularly Davao Gulf, to preempt terrorists, piracy and other security threats from using the sea lanes in their terrorist and criminal acts. It can also be used for water search and rescue operations.”

The boats have counter/anti-terrorist capability and will be manned by Special Forces Riverine troopers.

The boats will be initially deployed with Joint Task Force Haribon which has the jurisdiction of Mega Davao, the Eastern Mindanao Command said.

Ori…