Skip to main content

Pre-trial of 4 Army officers completed


MANILA, Philippines - The Army has completed its pre-trial investigation on four officers who are said to be liable for last year’s clash in Al-Barka, Basilan that left 19 soldiers dead.

Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) spokesman Col. Arnulfo Burgos Jr. said yesterday the investigators’ report is on its way to the desk of military chief Lt. Gen. Jessie Dellosa.

“According to the J1 (deputy chief of staff for personnel), the findings will soon be forwarded to Gen. Dellosa,” Burgos said in a phone interview.

He said Dellosa may receive the investigators’ findings as early as today. The pre-trial report may be made public next week.

In a separate interview, Dellosa confirmed that the findings of investigators would be reviewed soon.

Papunta na sa akin (The report will soon reach me). Based on the result of the (pre-trial investigation), we will determine if we are going to conduct a court martial,” he told reporters.

The pre-trial investigation was conducted by a team led by Lt. Col. Liberato Ramos, the Army’s deputy judge advocate-general.

Those who underwent the pre-trial were Col. Aminkadra Undog, former commander of the Army’s Special Forces Regiment (Airborne); Col. Orlando Edralin, former commander of the Special Forces Regiment’s Training School; Col. Alexander Macario, former chief of the Special Operations Task Force-Basilan; and Lt. Col. Leo Peña, former chief of the 4th Special Operations Battalion.
Lapses

The pre-trial probe was conducted to determine whether the four officers had committed lapses that led to the bloody encounter in Al-Barka town last Oct. 18.

The four were relieved from their positions to allow them to face the accusations against them.

A court of inquiry formed last year to probe the incident recommended that the four be tried for violating Articles of War No. 97 or conduct unbecoming of an officer and gentleman in conjunction with Article 365 of the Revised Penal Code for acts of negligence.

Nineteen soldiers were killed and 14 others were wounded after state troops clashed with Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) rebels in Sitio Baisung, Barangay Cambug in Al-Barka last Oct. 18.

The encounter happened despite the ongoing peace talks and ceasefire between the MILF and the government.
Soldiers who figured in the clash were supposed to serve a warrant of arrest on MILF commander Dan Laksaw Asnawi who was tagged in the killing of 14 Marines in Basilan in 2007, lawless element Long Malat, and Abu Sayyaf leader Furuji Indama.

The MILF blamed the military for the clash, saying the state forces deliberately attacked its territory even without provocation.

The AFP, however, denied this, saying the clash happened four kilometers away from the MILF territory.

Ceasefire rules prohibit the military from entering MILF areas without proper coordination with the ceasefire panels.
President Aquino declared an “all-out justice” against lawless elements behind the incident.
-----------------------------------------------------
The Philippine Star 
January 28, 2012 12:00 AM

Comments

More Philippine Defense News

AFP Modernization 2017: Highlights and Review

The modernization of the Armed Forces of the Philippines was on a roll this year, as we've seen a few big ticket items having completely delivered this year. Game changers as they say, these new assets have proven their capabilities both in combat and humanitarian missions.

Here's a brief on everything what we know about the AFP modernization this 2017.

Philippine Air Force  FA-50PH


The final batch of the FA-50PH Lead-In Fighter Trainers have been successfully delivered by the Korean Aerospace Industries last May. The last batch of 2 arrived on May 31st at Clark Air Base. The contract consist of 12 FA-50's at the price of Php 18.9 billion. AFP spokesperson Brig. Gen. Restituto Padilla mentioned on a March 23 article in Inquirer that there are plans to purchase 6 more additional FA-50's if the funding allows it and if the performance is good.

FA-50PH Weapons - AIM-9 Air-to-air Missiles
Aside from the aircraft itself the Department of National Defense also ordered AIM-9

DND wants frigate with 'surface-to-air' missile power

MANILA, Philippines - Defense spokesperson Peter Paul Galvez announced on Friday that one of the frigates to be acquired by the Philippines will have "surface-to-air" capabilities. That is, the ship will have the capability to fire missiles, guided by radar or heat sensors, at airborne targets.
"Aside from this, our latest frigate will have heavier gun armament and other equipment that will make it very effective in patrolling and securing the country's waters," Galvez said in Filipino.
He declined to state the particular country the Philippines will acquire this ship but stressed that acquisition will be done through a government-to-government transaction.
The Philippines has taken on a new sense of urgency to upgrade its naval capabilities as tensions continue to rise around the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea). US President Barack Obama's announced "pivot" for America towards the Pacific has stirred greater naval activity on the p…

Special Forces Assault Boat and the Philippine Aerospace Development Corporation

Special Forces assault boats to beef up patrols in Davao Gulf
Special Forces assault boats will soon patrol Davao Gulf to detect and deter piracy and terrorist threats in southern waters.

Two of these boats were formally turned over by Special Forces Regiment commander Brig. Gen. Ramiro Manuel Rey to Eastern Mindanao Command chief Lt. Gen. Benjamin Madrigal in Davao City on Tuesday, the EastMinCom said in a statement.

Madrigal said the boats will be “an additional capability in securing the municipal waters in the area of responsibility, particularly Davao Gulf, to preempt terrorists, piracy and other security threats from using the sea lanes in their terrorist and criminal acts. It can also be used for water search and rescue operations.”

The boats have counter/anti-terrorist capability and will be manned by Special Forces Riverine troopers.

The boats will be initially deployed with Joint Task Force Haribon which has the jurisdiction of Mega Davao, the Eastern Mindanao Command said.

Ori…