Skip to main content

Army division denies hiding Palparan


CITY of San Fernando—The Army’s 7th Infantry Division on Friday denied coddling retired Maj. Gen. Jovito Palparan, who has eluded arrest since Dec. 20 on charges of kidnapping two University of the Philippines students in Bulacan in 2006.
“The [Armed Forces] is a professional organization composed of disciplined and law-abiding soldiers,” the 7th ID said in a statement. “It is not the policy of the AFP to coddle and provide safe harbor to any person wanted by law.”
Maj. Enrico Gil Ileto, the unit’s public information officer, said the statement was in reply to allegations published recently by the media.
Until his retirement on Sept. 11, 2006, Palparan commanded the unit, which operates in Central Luzon, the region north of Metro Manila.
Palparan should “turn himself in and answer all allegations hurled against him,” the 7th ID urged in its statement.
“It would be better for him to face the case and take the opportunity of proving that he is not guilty and that he is innocent,” it said.
Soldiers have been instructed to “inform proper authorities if they will spot General Palparan in their duty assignments,” according to the statement.
But the Army has intensified its surveillance efforts, this time in Aurora, because of reports that Palparan had been sighted there this time.
On Dec. 19, immigration personnel at the Diosdado Macapagal International Airport stopped Palparan from boarding a plane bound for Singapore.
Judge Teodora Gonzales of the Bulacan regional trial court issued on Dec. 20, 2011, the arrest warrant on Palparan and three soldiers still in active duty, who were implicated in the abduction of Sherylyn Cadapan and Karen Empeño.
-------------------------------------
 Tonette Orejas, with a report from Armand Galang, Inquirer Central Luzon.
3:58 am | Saturday, January 21st, 2012

Comments

More Philippine Defense News

DND wants frigate with 'surface-to-air' missile power

MANILA, Philippines - Defense spokesperson Peter Paul Galvez announced on Friday that one of the frigates to be acquired by the Philippines will have "surface-to-air" capabilities. That is, the ship will have the capability to fire missiles, guided by radar or heat sensors, at airborne targets.
"Aside from this, our latest frigate will have heavier gun armament and other equipment that will make it very effective in patrolling and securing the country's waters," Galvez said in Filipino.
He declined to state the particular country the Philippines will acquire this ship but stressed that acquisition will be done through a government-to-government transaction.
The Philippines has taken on a new sense of urgency to upgrade its naval capabilities as tensions continue to rise around the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea). US President Barack Obama's announced "pivot" for America towards the Pacific has stirred greater naval activity on the p…

No reduction in AFP manpower size

THERE will be no reduction in the number of soldiers of the Armed Forces of the Philippines when it implements the streamlining of commands by 2013, a senior officer told the Manila Standard in an exclusive interview.
“Under the Force Structure Review, there will be streamlining of units but this does not mean reduction in terms of the number of soldiers. In fact, the FSR calls for more recruits in the future,” the source, who requested anonymity, said.
At present, the military has a total of 125,000 soldiers, of which almost 85,000 are in the Army and the rest in the Navy-Marines and Air Force.
The FSR calls for an in-depth study of the AFP history in reference to pertinent laws of the land in conjunction with the challenges of internal and external defense.
The study also calls for the establishment of a strategic command that will focus on external defense where the main force would be the Air Force and Navy.
On instructions of Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin, former military ch…

Philippine Armored Vehicles with ad-hoc wood slat armor

While searching for Philippine armored vehicles for the updates being done for both the blog and the Facebook page I chanced upon images of Philippine Army and Marine armor assets covered with thick wood planks as slat armor for protection from rocket propelled grenades. This caught the eyes of Popular Mechanics who published an article last June 8th just for this subject.


According to the article,
Wood armor on armored vehicles won't save them from ISIS rockets. Not sure, I'll leave that to the actual reports from the Philippine Military in using wood as an ad hoc protection for rpg's, but yes this is only during emergencies. The Philippine Army and Philippine Marines should employ or use the real add-on armors currently in the market for armored vehicle protection. Or they could just simply buy new thicker-armored vehicles to be used for front-line operations and have the old vehicles to be used in secondary missions or as support vehicles.



Nonetheless the fast-thinkin…