Skip to main content

Rebels dared: Extend ceasefire to entire 2012


THE Army's 10th Infantry Division dared Thursday the National Democratic Front/Communist Party of the Philippines/New People's Army (NDF/CPP/NPA) to declare ceasefire for the entire 2012.
Brigade General Ricardo Rainer Cruz III, assistant division commander of the 10th Infantry Division, said it could be better if the communist rebels will extend their ceasefire in 2012, instead of the 13-day ceasefire for Christmas and the victims of Tropical Storm "Sendong", which hit Cagayan de Oro and Iligan cities.
"It is time for the communist rebels to take a break and return to their families. Let's declare 2012 ceasefire so for the community to develop their living, and not only because there is a disaster. This is great kasi magkakaroon tayo ng katahimikan starting next year," Cruz said in a press conference Thursday.
Lieutenant Colonel Lyndon Paniza, 10th Infantry Division spokesperson, expressed his gratitude as Christmas celebration has been peaceful in Davao Region, except for the disasters in some areas.
Paniza said the 10th Infantry Division also welcomes the declaration of ceasefire of the communist rebels so they can conduct search and rescue and relief operations for the victims of flash floods in Cagayan de Oro and Iligan cities and other areas in Davao Region.
"We are happy to note that so far, there were no atrocities the past few days. And we hope for the NDF/CPP/NPA since kaya naman nila, gawin natin tahimik at mapayapa ang 2012 and let's focus for the development of our community," Paniza said.
The 10th Infantry Division challenged the NDF/CPP/NPA to join them in strengthening the Peace and Development Outreach Program (PDOP) instead of exchanging unnecessary statements and fighting each other.
In earlier report, the communist rebels in Northern Mindanao declared a regional ceasefire from December 21 to January 3, in deference to the victims of Sendong and other affected areas due to heavy rains and flash floods.
The CPP central leadership also declared a two-schedule Yuletide truce from December 24-26 and the other from December 31 to January 2, as they urged all NPA units, especially in the most affected areas of flash floods, to temporarily cease offensive military operations and help mobilizing the people to carry out rescue and rehabilitation efforts.
Recently, the communist rebels donated around P1.3 million for the victims of Sendong in Cagayan de Oro and Iligan City as directed from their leader to raise resources for relief and rehabilitation efforts for the affected families of the disaster.
-------------------------------------
Thursday, December 29, 2011


Comments

More Philippine Defense News

DND wants frigate with 'surface-to-air' missile power

MANILA, Philippines - Defense spokesperson Peter Paul Galvez announced on Friday that one of the frigates to be acquired by the Philippines will have "surface-to-air" capabilities. That is, the ship will have the capability to fire missiles, guided by radar or heat sensors, at airborne targets.
"Aside from this, our latest frigate will have heavier gun armament and other equipment that will make it very effective in patrolling and securing the country's waters," Galvez said in Filipino.
He declined to state the particular country the Philippines will acquire this ship but stressed that acquisition will be done through a government-to-government transaction.
The Philippines has taken on a new sense of urgency to upgrade its naval capabilities as tensions continue to rise around the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea). US President Barack Obama's announced "pivot" for America towards the Pacific has stirred greater naval activity on the p…

No reduction in AFP manpower size

THERE will be no reduction in the number of soldiers of the Armed Forces of the Philippines when it implements the streamlining of commands by 2013, a senior officer told the Manila Standard in an exclusive interview.
“Under the Force Structure Review, there will be streamlining of units but this does not mean reduction in terms of the number of soldiers. In fact, the FSR calls for more recruits in the future,” the source, who requested anonymity, said.
At present, the military has a total of 125,000 soldiers, of which almost 85,000 are in the Army and the rest in the Navy-Marines and Air Force.
The FSR calls for an in-depth study of the AFP history in reference to pertinent laws of the land in conjunction with the challenges of internal and external defense.
The study also calls for the establishment of a strategic command that will focus on external defense where the main force would be the Air Force and Navy.
On instructions of Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin, former military ch…

Philippine Armored Vehicles with ad-hoc wood slat armor

While searching for Philippine armored vehicles for the updates being done for both the blog and the Facebook page I chanced upon images of Philippine Army and Marine armor assets covered with thick wood planks as slat armor for protection from rocket propelled grenades. This caught the eyes of Popular Mechanics who published an article last June 8th just for this subject.


According to the article,
Wood armor on armored vehicles won't save them from ISIS rockets. Not sure, I'll leave that to the actual reports from the Philippine Military in using wood as an ad hoc protection for rpg's, but yes this is only during emergencies. The Philippine Army and Philippine Marines should employ or use the real add-on armors currently in the market for armored vehicle protection. Or they could just simply buy new thicker-armored vehicles to be used for front-line operations and have the old vehicles to be used in secondary missions or as support vehicles.



Nonetheless the fast-thinkin…