Skip to main content

Philippine talks with Maoist rebels hit an impasse

MANILA, Philippines (AP) — Negotiations to end one of Asia's longest-running Marxist insurgencies have stalled in the Philippines after Maoist rebels insisted jailed comrades be released and escalated attacks on government troops and mining companies, the government said Wednesday.

The guerrillas wanted several more comrades freed after the government released five in recent months, one of whom is believed to have returned to fight with the rebels, government negotiator Alexander Padilla said. He said the government would not release more rebels.

Padilla called on the guerrillas to return to the negotiating table and said both sides may miss the mid-2012 deadline to complete the talks.

"We're no longer advancing because we keep going in circles," Padilla said in a news conference.

Norway, which has been brokering the talks, has tried to bridge differences between the Manila government and the guerrillas but has not brought them back to the negotiating table.

Rebel negotiators refused to meet government counterparts in June and last month, demanding the release of 13 more jailed guerrillas. They said the 13 are consultants in the peace talks and are covered by a 1995 agreement that provided them immunity from prosecution and arrest.

Padilla said the rebels failed to produce proof the detainees are covered by the agreement.

A recent wave of rebel attacks, including an assault by more than 200 New People's Army guerrillas that devastated three nickel mining complexes in southern Surigao del Norte province in October, has also damaged efforts to build trust, Padilla said.

"These attacks are not helping to create a conducive atmosphere for the negotiations," he said.

Military officials have said the attacks were part of rebel extortion attempts. The guerrillas, however, accused the mining firms of causing massive environmental pollution and exploiting Filipino workers by paying them cheap wages in dangerous work conditions.

The rebels have been fighting for a Marxist state since 1969, accusing successive Philippine administrations of subservience to U.S. interests and failing to improve the lives of the poor. Their numbers have dwindled to an estimated 4,000 fighters amid battle setbacks, surrenders and factionalism. They are listed as a terrorist organization by the U.S. and European Union.

-------------------------------

By JIM GOMEZ - Associated Press | AP

Source

Comments

More Philippine Defense News

DND wants frigate with 'surface-to-air' missile power

MANILA, Philippines - Defense spokesperson Peter Paul Galvez announced on Friday that one of the frigates to be acquired by the Philippines will have "surface-to-air" capabilities. That is, the ship will have the capability to fire missiles, guided by radar or heat sensors, at airborne targets.
"Aside from this, our latest frigate will have heavier gun armament and other equipment that will make it very effective in patrolling and securing the country's waters," Galvez said in Filipino.
He declined to state the particular country the Philippines will acquire this ship but stressed that acquisition will be done through a government-to-government transaction.
The Philippines has taken on a new sense of urgency to upgrade its naval capabilities as tensions continue to rise around the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea). US President Barack Obama's announced "pivot" for America towards the Pacific has stirred greater naval activity on the p…

No reduction in AFP manpower size

THERE will be no reduction in the number of soldiers of the Armed Forces of the Philippines when it implements the streamlining of commands by 2013, a senior officer told the Manila Standard in an exclusive interview.
“Under the Force Structure Review, there will be streamlining of units but this does not mean reduction in terms of the number of soldiers. In fact, the FSR calls for more recruits in the future,” the source, who requested anonymity, said.
At present, the military has a total of 125,000 soldiers, of which almost 85,000 are in the Army and the rest in the Navy-Marines and Air Force.
The FSR calls for an in-depth study of the AFP history in reference to pertinent laws of the land in conjunction with the challenges of internal and external defense.
The study also calls for the establishment of a strategic command that will focus on external defense where the main force would be the Air Force and Navy.
On instructions of Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin, former military ch…

Philippine Armored Vehicles with ad-hoc wood slat armor

While searching for Philippine armored vehicles for the updates being done for both the blog and the Facebook page I chanced upon images of Philippine Army and Marine armor assets covered with thick wood planks as slat armor for protection from rocket propelled grenades. This caught the eyes of Popular Mechanics who published an article last June 8th just for this subject.


According to the article,
Wood armor on armored vehicles won't save them from ISIS rockets. Not sure, I'll leave that to the actual reports from the Philippine Military in using wood as an ad hoc protection for rpg's, but yes this is only during emergencies. The Philippine Army and Philippine Marines should employ or use the real add-on armors currently in the market for armored vehicle protection. Or they could just simply buy new thicker-armored vehicles to be used for front-line operations and have the old vehicles to be used in secondary missions or as support vehicles.



Nonetheless the fast-thinkin…