Skip to main content

MILF: We did not buy guns with P5M government grant

Moro Islamic Liberation Front vice chairman for political affairs Ghadzali Jaafar confirmed receiving a P5-million check from the government last August to train Bangsamoro leaders, and denied that it was used to buy arms as claimed in a widely quoted viral text which falsely inflated the figure to P5 billion. Jaafar added that the P5 million remains untouched.

The text messages added fuel to the fire of outrage sparked by the killings last week of 19 government troops in Basilan that have been blamed on the MILF. Last August, GMA News Online reported the government donation for the MILF-affiliated leadership institute, but it didn't trigger any public reaction then in the warm glow of President Aquino's historic meeting with MILF leader Murad Ebrahim in Japan.

The slaughter of government soldiers in Basilan aroused public opinion that pounced on the supposed irony of a sizable government donation to the rebel army responsible for the attack and more recent ones in western Mindanao.

Presidential spokesman Edwin Lacierda said Wednesday that the P5-million "grant" to the Bangsamoro Leadership Management Institute (BLMI) was a fulfillment of a government commitment to the MILF made by the Arroyo administration in 2007.

According to a report on GMA News, the check was handed to the MILF Peace Panel during exploratory talks held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia in late August.


Government peace negotiator Marvic Leonen sought to counteract the ‘rumors’ spread by SMS by clarifying via his Twitter account that the check was for P5 million and it was given in Kuala Lumpur and not Tokyo during the Aquino-Murad meeting.

Leonen highlighted the donation to the BLMI in his official statement last August 23 at the conclusion of exploratory talks with the MILF in Kuala Lumpur.

A goodwill gesture, the funds were intended to foster the growth of civil society in Muslim Mindanao. Excerpts from Leonen's statement:

"The BLMI is envisioned to be a center of excellence and repository of knowledge in the discipline of human resource development that produces individuals of impeccable character, equipped with exemplary leadership and managerial qualities for the transformation of the Bangsamoro people.

It is government’s commitment to help in the development of future Bangsamoro leaders and managers who will utilize their political and socio-economic knowledge and skills to improve the situation in the Bangsamoro homeland."

The Office of the Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process (OPAPP) also tweeted that the funds were intended to "fast track the establishment of the institute (BLMI)."

An online search of the institute, however, revealed that the BLMI has existed at least since 2008 when it began to receive support from the Asia Foundation, a US-funded grant-giving organization, according to the foundation's web site.

The BLMI is described by the Asia Foundation as "enhancing leadership capability of Bangsamoro women leaders."

The institute was reported in media in 2009 to have sponsored training for women. The training was conducted by the Development Academy of the Philippines-Mindanao, a reputable training institute for civil servants.

Jaafar clarified that the money did not go to MILF chairman Murad and that instead it had gone straight to the MILF peace panel.

He also said that the MILF peace panel is obliged to report to their government counterparts how the money will be used, preventing any misuse of the funds.

That obligation presumes a certain level of trust. It remains to be seen whether both sides can retain that trust in light of the October 18 Basilan massacre and the public outrage in its wake.— BC/ELR/HS, GMA News
-------------

Comments

More Philippine Defense News

AFP Modernization 2017: Highlights and Review

The modernization of the Armed Forces of the Philippines was on a roll this year, as we've seen a few big ticket items having completely delivered this year. Game changers as they say, these new assets have proven their capabilities both in combat and humanitarian missions.

Here's a brief on everything what we know about the AFP modernization this 2017.

Philippine Air Force  FA-50PH


The final batch of the FA-50PH Lead-In Fighter Trainers have been successfully delivered by the Korean Aerospace Industries last May. The last batch of 2 arrived on May 31st at Clark Air Base. The contract consist of 12 FA-50's at the price of Php 18.9 billion. AFP spokesperson Brig. Gen. Restituto Padilla mentioned on a March 23 article in Inquirer that there are plans to purchase 6 more additional FA-50's if the funding allows it and if the performance is good.

FA-50PH Weapons - AIM-9 Air-to-air Missiles
Aside from the aircraft itself the Department of National Defense also ordered AIM-9

DND wants frigate with 'surface-to-air' missile power

MANILA, Philippines - Defense spokesperson Peter Paul Galvez announced on Friday that one of the frigates to be acquired by the Philippines will have "surface-to-air" capabilities. That is, the ship will have the capability to fire missiles, guided by radar or heat sensors, at airborne targets.
"Aside from this, our latest frigate will have heavier gun armament and other equipment that will make it very effective in patrolling and securing the country's waters," Galvez said in Filipino.
He declined to state the particular country the Philippines will acquire this ship but stressed that acquisition will be done through a government-to-government transaction.
The Philippines has taken on a new sense of urgency to upgrade its naval capabilities as tensions continue to rise around the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea). US President Barack Obama's announced "pivot" for America towards the Pacific has stirred greater naval activity on the p…

Special Forces Assault Boat and the Philippine Aerospace Development Corporation

Special Forces assault boats to beef up patrols in Davao Gulf
Special Forces assault boats will soon patrol Davao Gulf to detect and deter piracy and terrorist threats in southern waters.

Two of these boats were formally turned over by Special Forces Regiment commander Brig. Gen. Ramiro Manuel Rey to Eastern Mindanao Command chief Lt. Gen. Benjamin Madrigal in Davao City on Tuesday, the EastMinCom said in a statement.

Madrigal said the boats will be “an additional capability in securing the municipal waters in the area of responsibility, particularly Davao Gulf, to preempt terrorists, piracy and other security threats from using the sea lanes in their terrorist and criminal acts. It can also be used for water search and rescue operations.”

The boats have counter/anti-terrorist capability and will be manned by Special Forces Riverine troopers.

The boats will be initially deployed with Joint Task Force Haribon which has the jurisdiction of Mega Davao, the Eastern Mindanao Command said.

Ori…