Skip to main content

Deles: ‘ATS’ to be reviewed in peace talks

The government may seek a review of the concept of "Areas of Temporary Stay" (ATS) in the next round of peace talks with the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) after 19 soldiers were killed in Basilan last week for allegedly intruding on the rebels' ATS.

The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), however, insisted that the location of the clash between government and rebel troops on Tuesday last week was about four kilometers away from the MILF's ATS.

On Thursday, Presidential peace process adviser Teresita Deles said the proposed review of the ATS concept is part of efforts to strengthen the ceasefire mechanism between the government and the MILF.

“Definitely, always under review ito. Sabi ko nga since we came on board, all the ceasefire mechanisms have been working well. Ngayong may nangyari na ganito siyempre ine-examine ito. We want to strengthen the ceasefire mechanisms and we don’t want this to ever happen again," she said in an interview on dwIZ radio.

According to Deles, AFP officials explained that ATS were designated so that MILF members would not have to hide among the civilian population.

“It is temporary, supposed to be happening when there are operations. Kung nagamit ito for this certainly that requires examination. It may require new negotiations to define ano ba talaga ito," she said.

The deaths of 19 soldiers from last week’s Basilan clash triggered calls to scrap the peace process with the MILF which started in 1997.

However, President Benigno Aquino III has so far rejected such calls and instead ordered government troops to intensify their pursuit of the perpetrators. - VVP, GMA News
-------------------

Comments

More Philippine Defense News

AFP Modernization 2017: Highlights and Review

The modernization of the Armed Forces of the Philippines was on a roll this year, as we've seen a few big ticket items having completely delivered this year. Game changers as they say, these new assets have proven their capabilities both in combat and humanitarian missions.

Here's a brief on everything what we know about the AFP modernization this 2017.

Philippine Air Force  FA-50PH


The final batch of the FA-50PH Lead-In Fighter Trainers have been successfully delivered by the Korean Aerospace Industries last May. The last batch of 2 arrived on May 31st at Clark Air Base. The contract consist of 12 FA-50's at the price of Php 18.9 billion. AFP spokesperson Brig. Gen. Restituto Padilla mentioned on a March 23 article in Inquirer that there are plans to purchase 6 more additional FA-50's if the funding allows it and if the performance is good.

FA-50PH Weapons - AIM-9 Air-to-air Missiles
Aside from the aircraft itself the Department of National Defense also ordered AIM-9

DND wants frigate with 'surface-to-air' missile power

MANILA, Philippines - Defense spokesperson Peter Paul Galvez announced on Friday that one of the frigates to be acquired by the Philippines will have "surface-to-air" capabilities. That is, the ship will have the capability to fire missiles, guided by radar or heat sensors, at airborne targets.
"Aside from this, our latest frigate will have heavier gun armament and other equipment that will make it very effective in patrolling and securing the country's waters," Galvez said in Filipino.
He declined to state the particular country the Philippines will acquire this ship but stressed that acquisition will be done through a government-to-government transaction.
The Philippines has taken on a new sense of urgency to upgrade its naval capabilities as tensions continue to rise around the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea). US President Barack Obama's announced "pivot" for America towards the Pacific has stirred greater naval activity on the p…

Special Forces Assault Boat and the Philippine Aerospace Development Corporation

Special Forces assault boats to beef up patrols in Davao Gulf
Special Forces assault boats will soon patrol Davao Gulf to detect and deter piracy and terrorist threats in southern waters.

Two of these boats were formally turned over by Special Forces Regiment commander Brig. Gen. Ramiro Manuel Rey to Eastern Mindanao Command chief Lt. Gen. Benjamin Madrigal in Davao City on Tuesday, the EastMinCom said in a statement.

Madrigal said the boats will be “an additional capability in securing the municipal waters in the area of responsibility, particularly Davao Gulf, to preempt terrorists, piracy and other security threats from using the sea lanes in their terrorist and criminal acts. It can also be used for water search and rescue operations.”

The boats have counter/anti-terrorist capability and will be manned by Special Forces Riverine troopers.

The boats will be initially deployed with Joint Task Force Haribon which has the jurisdiction of Mega Davao, the Eastern Mindanao Command said.

Ori…