Skip to main content

Biazon favors NSC meet to form stand on MILF

With various sectors split on how to deal with the Moro Islamic Liberation Front in the wake of last week’s clash in Basilan that killed 19 soldiers, a lawmaker wants to settle the issue with a meeting of the National Security Council.

Former Armed Forces chief of staff and now Muntinlupa Rep. Rodolfo Biazon said Sunday the meeting will take inputs from all agencies and sectors on the matter.

“We should have a national position on the matter. All departments of the government should be involved, not just the executive. If you need to get the Chief Justice to attend, so be it. Otherwise, we’ll remain split on the matter," Biazon said in an interview on dzBB radio.

Biazon earlier suggested the suspension of the ceasefire particularly in Basilan, after the deadly clash between government and MILF forces last Tuesday.

Some lawmakers also called out for an all-out war on the MILF, a position Biazon did not support. [See story: All-out war solution to Mindanao conflict]

While President Benigno Aquino III maintained the peace process will continue, deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte hinted the government’s patience with the MILF has its limits.

The government is observing a ceasefire with the MILF while both sides hammer out a peace agreement with the government, a process that started back in 1997.

In the meantime, Biazon voiced concerns the government’s seeming inaction can embolden the MILF to do more of the same atrocities.

“Sila ba pwede gumawa paulit-ulit ng ganoon (Are we going to allow them to get away with murder repeatedly)?" he said.

On the other hand, he said he doesn't favor the idea of an all-out war, saying it “comes at a huge cost."

“We may resort to an all-out war, but not before we try everything to achieve peace without cost," he added. — LBG, GMA News

-----------------------------

GMANews

Comments

More Philippine Defense News

DND wants frigate with 'surface-to-air' missile power

MANILA, Philippines - Defense spokesperson Peter Paul Galvez announced on Friday that one of the frigates to be acquired by the Philippines will have "surface-to-air" capabilities. That is, the ship will have the capability to fire missiles, guided by radar or heat sensors, at airborne targets.
"Aside from this, our latest frigate will have heavier gun armament and other equipment that will make it very effective in patrolling and securing the country's waters," Galvez said in Filipino.
He declined to state the particular country the Philippines will acquire this ship but stressed that acquisition will be done through a government-to-government transaction.
The Philippines has taken on a new sense of urgency to upgrade its naval capabilities as tensions continue to rise around the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea). US President Barack Obama's announced "pivot" for America towards the Pacific has stirred greater naval activity on the p…

No reduction in AFP manpower size

THERE will be no reduction in the number of soldiers of the Armed Forces of the Philippines when it implements the streamlining of commands by 2013, a senior officer told the Manila Standard in an exclusive interview.
“Under the Force Structure Review, there will be streamlining of units but this does not mean reduction in terms of the number of soldiers. In fact, the FSR calls for more recruits in the future,” the source, who requested anonymity, said.
At present, the military has a total of 125,000 soldiers, of which almost 85,000 are in the Army and the rest in the Navy-Marines and Air Force.
The FSR calls for an in-depth study of the AFP history in reference to pertinent laws of the land in conjunction with the challenges of internal and external defense.
The study also calls for the establishment of a strategic command that will focus on external defense where the main force would be the Air Force and Navy.
On instructions of Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin, former military ch…

Philippine Armored Vehicles with ad-hoc wood slat armor

While searching for Philippine armored vehicles for the updates being done for both the blog and the Facebook page I chanced upon images of Philippine Army and Marine armor assets covered with thick wood planks as slat armor for protection from rocket propelled grenades. This caught the eyes of Popular Mechanics who published an article last June 8th just for this subject.


According to the article,
Wood armor on armored vehicles won't save them from ISIS rockets. Not sure, I'll leave that to the actual reports from the Philippine Military in using wood as an ad hoc protection for rpg's, but yes this is only during emergencies. The Philippine Army and Philippine Marines should employ or use the real add-on armors currently in the market for armored vehicle protection. Or they could just simply buy new thicker-armored vehicles to be used for front-line operations and have the old vehicles to be used in secondary missions or as support vehicles.



Nonetheless the fast-thinkin…