Skip to main content

19,000 flee as police, military stage offensive in Mindanao

Some lairs of armed bandits in Western Mindanao have fallen to government troops that launched “law enforcement" offensives designed to flush out suspects in the killing of Army personnel last week in Basilan and Zamboanga Sibugay. The ongoing conflict has driven at least 19,000 people to seek refuge from the fighting.

Army chief Lt. Gen. Arturo Ortiz said government troops took over an armed group’s camp in Sitio Talib in Payao town, Zamboanga Sibugay at 5 p.m. Wednesday.

Recovered from the camp supposedly led by fugitive Waning Abdulsalam were improvised explosive devices or IEDs, Ortiz added.

Chief Superintendent Elpidio de Asis, Zamboanga regional police chief, said the joint police-military force also wants to gain control of a small part of Barangay Labatan, supposedly used by the Abdulsalam syndicate “as a safe haven for kidnapping activities."



Thousands of refugees in evac centers

To avoid being caught in the crossfire, at least 19,000 people have sought temporary refuge in evacuation centers, according to the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC).

The NDRRMC said four people were killed in Alicia and eight were wounded. The identities of the casualties were still being identified as of Wednesday evening. In Basilan, one person was reported killed as military and police forces stage “enforcement operations" in Cambug, Al-barka.

Local disaster response officials said some of the evacuees are used to leaving their homes behind whenever military operations are underway in their towns.

Most of the refugees, 11,593 of them, are from the towns of Alicia, Payao and Talusan in Zamboanga Sibugay. Over in Basilan, 7,888 people are accounted for in the evacuation centers. — With a report from AFP/Andreo Calonzo/KBK/ELR/VS, GMA News
---------------------

Comments

More Philippine Defense News

DND wants frigate with 'surface-to-air' missile power

MANILA, Philippines - Defense spokesperson Peter Paul Galvez announced on Friday that one of the frigates to be acquired by the Philippines will have "surface-to-air" capabilities. That is, the ship will have the capability to fire missiles, guided by radar or heat sensors, at airborne targets.
"Aside from this, our latest frigate will have heavier gun armament and other equipment that will make it very effective in patrolling and securing the country's waters," Galvez said in Filipino.
He declined to state the particular country the Philippines will acquire this ship but stressed that acquisition will be done through a government-to-government transaction.
The Philippines has taken on a new sense of urgency to upgrade its naval capabilities as tensions continue to rise around the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea). US President Barack Obama's announced "pivot" for America towards the Pacific has stirred greater naval activity on the p…

No reduction in AFP manpower size

THERE will be no reduction in the number of soldiers of the Armed Forces of the Philippines when it implements the streamlining of commands by 2013, a senior officer told the Manila Standard in an exclusive interview.
“Under the Force Structure Review, there will be streamlining of units but this does not mean reduction in terms of the number of soldiers. In fact, the FSR calls for more recruits in the future,” the source, who requested anonymity, said.
At present, the military has a total of 125,000 soldiers, of which almost 85,000 are in the Army and the rest in the Navy-Marines and Air Force.
The FSR calls for an in-depth study of the AFP history in reference to pertinent laws of the land in conjunction with the challenges of internal and external defense.
The study also calls for the establishment of a strategic command that will focus on external defense where the main force would be the Air Force and Navy.
On instructions of Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin, former military ch…

Philippine Armored Vehicles with ad-hoc wood slat armor

While searching for Philippine armored vehicles for the updates being done for both the blog and the Facebook page I chanced upon images of Philippine Army and Marine armor assets covered with thick wood planks as slat armor for protection from rocket propelled grenades. This caught the eyes of Popular Mechanics who published an article last June 8th just for this subject.


According to the article,
Wood armor on armored vehicles won't save them from ISIS rockets. Not sure, I'll leave that to the actual reports from the Philippine Military in using wood as an ad hoc protection for rpg's, but yes this is only during emergencies. The Philippine Army and Philippine Marines should employ or use the real add-on armors currently in the market for armored vehicle protection. Or they could just simply buy new thicker-armored vehicles to be used for front-line operations and have the old vehicles to be used in secondary missions or as support vehicles.



Nonetheless the fast-thinkin…