Skip to main content

Gordon's role in Sulu crisis 'destructive' - Defense chief

SOPHIA DEDACE, GMANews.TV
04/05/2009 | 02:24 PM

MANILA, Philippines – Defense Secretary Gilberto Teodoro Jr. for the first time voiced his displeasure on what he called as "destructive attempts" to interfere in the hostage crisis in southern Philippines involving two European Red Cross volunteers.

Interviewed by radio dzBB’s Nimfa Ravelo on Sunday, Teodoro particularly vented his ire on Sen. Richard Gordon, who he said seems to favor the Abu Sayyaf hostage-takers more than the government.

“Sen. Gordon’s latest statements only serve to strengthen the hand of the kidnappers," he said, referring to Gordon’s statement that the fate of the hostages, Italian Eugenio Vagni and Swiss Andreas Notter, is on the hands of President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo.

“The fate of the hostages is not in the hands of the President but of the kidnappers," Teodoro said.

Another hostage, Filipino Mary Jean Lacaba, was freed by Abu Sayyaf Thursday night after days of negotiations.

Gordon said the life or death of Vagni and Notter of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) depended on whether or not President Arroyo, as the military’s commander-in-chief, would order government troops to pull back from the area surrounding the Abu Sayyaf’s camp in Sulu.

Gordon, chairman of the Philippine National Red Cross (PNRC), also said President Arroyo "must determine the policy" on how to secure the release of the two foreign aid volunteers.

No pullout

Teodoro, along with Interior Secretary Ronaldo Puno, had repeatedly insisted that a massive military pullout would only endanger the locals in Sulu and could possibly make them more vulnerable to kidnapping not only by the Abu Sayyaf but by other lawless elements operating in the troubled province.

“The military pullout demanded by the [Abu Sayyaf] is a criminal attempt to allow them to wreak havoc elsewhere," he said.

The Defense chief likewise said that by putting the blame on President Arroyo, Gordon had virtually cleared the Abu Sayyaf of any liability should anything happen to Vagni and Notter, now on their 80th day of captivity.

“Ang bintang ay nawawala sa Abu Sayyaf [The Abu Sayyaf is being cleared of any liability]. This is already unacceptable, to lay the blame on the President," Teodoro said.

“There should be a stop to these destructive attempts at interfering with the crisis management committee’s work," he added, stressing that the local crisis committee is the one in charge of talking with the Abu Sayyaf.

Teodoro said President Arroyo’s policy of limiting the hostage crisis at the level of the crisis committee has been so far correct, referring to the release of the Lacaba and of the three policemen taken as prisoners of war by the New People’s Army in Rizal last month.

“Experience has proven that we are correct and the President’s policy is correct, we will let the crisis management committee deal with the situation.

Mouthpiece?

In an earlier interview also by Nimfa Ravelo, Gordon denied meddling with the government as he scoffed at insinuations that he was acting as the Abu Sayyaf’s mouthpiece. He said that it was Albader Parad, the leader of the Abu Sayyaf faction that is holding the hostages, who communicated with him.

“I’m just being called. I can’t ignore it. I’m a human being, I will never stop being a humanitarian," he said.

Gordon said he last spoke with Parad Friday night, a day after Lacaba was released. He said the rebel leader reiterated his demand for a large-scale military pull out or they would behead one of the remaining hostages.

Gordon said Parad promised to start negotiations for the release of Notter and Vagni after the pullout of Philippine Marines, police and armed civilian volunteers. He said the bandits wanted an area to move around.

The senator also said that he was merely relaying to the government what had transpired in his phone conversations with Parad, adding that he should also not be faulted for being concerned for the hostages.

“In Red Cross, I have to take the fall. Nasa konsensiya ko ‘yan [My conscience tells me to do so]," Gordon said. - GMANews.TV

http://www.gmanews.tv/story/155698/Gordons-role-in-Sulu-crisis-destructive---Defense-chief

Comments

More Philippine Defense News

AFP Modernization 2017: Highlights and Review

The modernization of the Armed Forces of the Philippines was on a roll this year, as we've seen a few big ticket items having completely delivered this year. Game changers as they say, these new assets have proven their capabilities both in combat and humanitarian missions.

Here's a brief on everything what we know about the AFP modernization this 2017.

Philippine Air Force  FA-50PH


The final batch of the FA-50PH Lead-In Fighter Trainers have been successfully delivered by the Korean Aerospace Industries last May. The last batch of 2 arrived on May 31st at Clark Air Base. The contract consist of 12 FA-50's at the price of Php 18.9 billion. AFP spokesperson Brig. Gen. Restituto Padilla mentioned on a March 23 article in Inquirer that there are plans to purchase 6 more additional FA-50's if the funding allows it and if the performance is good.

FA-50PH Weapons - AIM-9 Air-to-air Missiles
Aside from the aircraft itself the Department of National Defense also ordered AIM-9

DND wants frigate with 'surface-to-air' missile power

MANILA, Philippines - Defense spokesperson Peter Paul Galvez announced on Friday that one of the frigates to be acquired by the Philippines will have "surface-to-air" capabilities. That is, the ship will have the capability to fire missiles, guided by radar or heat sensors, at airborne targets.
"Aside from this, our latest frigate will have heavier gun armament and other equipment that will make it very effective in patrolling and securing the country's waters," Galvez said in Filipino.
He declined to state the particular country the Philippines will acquire this ship but stressed that acquisition will be done through a government-to-government transaction.
The Philippines has taken on a new sense of urgency to upgrade its naval capabilities as tensions continue to rise around the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea). US President Barack Obama's announced "pivot" for America towards the Pacific has stirred greater naval activity on the p…

Special Forces Assault Boat and the Philippine Aerospace Development Corporation

Special Forces assault boats to beef up patrols in Davao Gulf
Special Forces assault boats will soon patrol Davao Gulf to detect and deter piracy and terrorist threats in southern waters.

Two of these boats were formally turned over by Special Forces Regiment commander Brig. Gen. Ramiro Manuel Rey to Eastern Mindanao Command chief Lt. Gen. Benjamin Madrigal in Davao City on Tuesday, the EastMinCom said in a statement.

Madrigal said the boats will be “an additional capability in securing the municipal waters in the area of responsibility, particularly Davao Gulf, to preempt terrorists, piracy and other security threats from using the sea lanes in their terrorist and criminal acts. It can also be used for water search and rescue operations.”

The boats have counter/anti-terrorist capability and will be manned by Special Forces Riverine troopers.

The boats will be initially deployed with Joint Task Force Haribon which has the jurisdiction of Mega Davao, the Eastern Mindanao Command said.

Ori…