Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Salvage ops for USS Guardian half-way done - Task Force Tubbataha

Salvage crew for USS Guardian

PUERTO PRINCESA CITY – Salvage operations for the grounded USS Guardian at the Tubbataha Reefs Natural Park (TRNP) has now accomplished around 50-percent of its target, Task Force Tubbataha (TFT) said Monday.

Commodore Enrico Efren Evangelista, head of the TFT and commander of the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG)-Palawan District, said, "We are expecting calm weather in the next three to four days so work will continue on the USS Guardian by the Task Force."

As of Monday, the salvors had cleared pipes and vents at the funnel base of the USS Guardian; lifted remaining portions of the funnel base section at the port side; and cleared all types of interference at the auxiliary machinery room and main machinery room.

They also worked and prepared all machineries at the AMR and MMR for removal; transferred additional hydraulic power unit to the USS Guardian; and opened the top containers for loading of debris.

The 50-percent accomplishment, he added, includes the preparation and mobilization of the salvage operation.

A spokesman for the US Navy said salvage costs have so far totalled more than a million dollars.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Donna Jean M. Genilan | Phlippines News Agency | March 12, 2013 | Article Link


No comments:

Post a Comment