Sunday, October 23, 2011

Biazon favors NSC meet to form stand on MILF

With various sectors split on how to deal with the Moro Islamic Liberation Front in the wake of last week’s clash in Basilan that killed 19 soldiers, a lawmaker wants to settle the issue with a meeting of the National Security Council.

Former Armed Forces chief of staff and now Muntinlupa Rep. Rodolfo Biazon said Sunday the meeting will take inputs from all agencies and sectors on the matter.

“We should have a national position on the matter. All departments of the government should be involved, not just the executive. If you need to get the Chief Justice to attend, so be it. Otherwise, we’ll remain split on the matter," Biazon said in an interview on dzBB radio.

Biazon earlier suggested the suspension of the ceasefire particularly in Basilan, after the deadly clash between government and MILF forces last Tuesday.

Some lawmakers also called out for an all-out war on the MILF, a position Biazon did not support. [See story: All-out war solution to Mindanao conflict]

While President Benigno Aquino III maintained the peace process will continue, deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte hinted the government’s patience with the MILF has its limits.

The government is observing a ceasefire with the MILF while both sides hammer out a peace agreement with the government, a process that started back in 1997.

In the meantime, Biazon voiced concerns the government’s seeming inaction can embolden the MILF to do more of the same atrocities.

“Sila ba pwede gumawa paulit-ulit ng ganoon (Are we going to allow them to get away with murder repeatedly)?" he said.

On the other hand, he said he doesn't favor the idea of an all-out war, saying it “comes at a huge cost."

“We may resort to an all-out war, but not before we try everything to achieve peace without cost," he added. — LBG, GMA News

-----------------------------

GMANews

No comments:

Post a Comment