Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Four killed in fresh Sabah shooutout


KUALA LUMPUR: A Malaysian soldier and three militants were killed in a fresh gunfight at Sungai Nyamuk near Kampung Tanjung Batu, Lahad Datu.

Armed Forces chief Tan Sri Zulkifeli Mohd Zin was quoted by The Star confirming the deaths.

The gunmen killed in the shootout had been moving in a group of five when they were spotted by security forces conducting mopping up operations at 7:45am, the daily said.

Jen Zulkifeli said the soldiers engaged them in a gun fight and forced the men to retreat. The soldiers then tracked the armed group down and engaged them in another shootout three hours later.

It was in this shootout that the soldier, as well as the gunmen, were killed.

The soldier is said to be a Private with the Royal Malay Regiment. Another soldier is also believed to have been injured in the shootout earlier today.

The standoff in sabah shows no signs of abating since the armed intruders - supporters of Jamalul Kiram II, the self-proclaimed Sultan of Sulu - sneaked into Lahad Datu with a cache of weapons.

Since then, the body count has ratcheted up, with over 63 deaths reported. 97 people have also been detained in connection with the insurgency.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lydia Gomez | Yahoo! Southeast Asia | March 12, 2013 | Article Link

No comments:

Post a Comment