Tuesday, March 19, 2013

AFP: 21 Filipino peacekeepers likely to finish their tours


MANILA, March 18 (PNA) - The 21 Filipino peacekeepers, earlier captured and released by Syrian rebels while conducting a logistics run at the Golan Heights this month, are likely to finish their tour of duty after successfully passing their debriefing, physical and medical examinations Sunday.

“All indications point to our peacekeepers returning to their posts and finishing their respective tour of duty,” AFP spokesperson Col. Arnulfo M. Burgos, Jr., said.

The 21 Filipino military men were subjected to tests to determine their psychological, physical, and mental dispositions after being held for four days by Syrian rebels.

The soldiers, part of a 300-strong Philippine peacekeeping force in the Golan Heights, were captured by rebels while on a logistics run on March 6.

They were later released on March 10.

The Philippines has been maintaining a peacekeeping force in the Golan Heights since the United Nations Disengagement Observer Force (UNDOF) implemented the 1974 UN Security Council resolution 350.

Burgos said the peacekeepers passed the first set of debriefing that began March 14.

The debriefing sessions, as well as the physical and medical examinations, were conducted at the UNDOF headquarters in Camp Faouar, Syrian Golan.

The AFP spokesperson said each soldier would have different months for completion of their respective tours of duty.

He added some of them were deployed to the Golan Heights before and after November last year.

“So some of them would finish their tour of duty by June, some by August.”

Burgos said, however, that all of the 21 would have completed their tour of duty by September. 
---------------------------------------------------------------
Philippine News Agency | March 18, 2013 | Article Link

No comments:

Post a Comment