Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Military chief to retire


AFTER nearly two years as chief of the military's Eastern Mindanao Command (Eastmincom), Lieutenant General Arthur Tabaquero said he will be retiring on April 17.
Tabaquero, member of the Philippine Military Academy (PMA) Class 1978, will reach the mandatory retirement age of 56 next month.
He assumed his post as chief of Eastmincom in November 2010.
In an interview after a press conference last week, Tabaquero said he has no idea of who his replacement is, neither the candidates for his position.
He said the Armed Forces of the Philippines' Board of Generals and Senior Officers will recommend the top three candidates to Defense Secretary Voltaire T. Gazmin and President Benigno Simeon Aquino III.
Tabaquero said one of the qualifications for his position is the familiarity with the areas of responsibility of Eastmincom and an excellent service reputation.
Colonel Leopoldo Galon Jr., Eastmincom spokesperson, said under the rules of the AFP, the new retirement age for officers is 56.
He added that the new system of the administration is to make the AFP more effective and sustainable in their service.
When asked if he plans to accept a government service position, Tabaquero said, "The President (Aquino) has a plan there is no formal offer yet…But for now I will have to take a vacation and decide after six months," Tabaquero said.
Though he will be retiring, Tabaquero said Oplan Bayanahin will continue under the new commander of the Eastmincom.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ivy C. Tejano | SunStar.Com.Ph | March 21, 2012 | Article Link