Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Blast mars 2nd anniversary of Maguindanao massacre

An early morning blast marred the second anniversary of the Maguindanao massacre, five kilometers from the site where the brutal murders occurred.

Maguindanao police head Superintendent Marcelo Pintac cited initial reports indicating the incident occurred near a gas station shortly before 6 a.m. in Ampatuan town.

"We are still in the area. But initially there was no report of fatalities. We are still investigating the incident," Pintac said in an interview on dzBB radio.

He said the site of the blast was some five kilometers away from a monument built in memory of the massacre victims.

When asked if there had been sightings of men acting suspiciously in the area before the blast, he said there were none.

Pintac declined to comment on the cause of the blast, saying police teams were still investigating it.

At least 58 people, 32 of them journalists, were murdered in Ampatuan town on Nov. 23, 2009. The incident sparked international outrage. — LBG, GMA News
-------------------
11/23/2011 | 07:44 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment